Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese Atrocities POW

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by Jba45ww2, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Active Member Patron  

I have a very interesting grouping from a British officer who was taken prisoner by the Japanese at the beginning of the war. He survived 4 years in horrific conditions as a POW and after the war was responsible to gather evidence against the Japanese officers so that they could be charged. I guess it would be interesting to hear opinions why the Japanese atrocities to POWs are sort of forgotten. Part of the grouping includes the list of men that did not survive and I was amazed to see how many were listed as “killed by Japanese”. The British Officer eventually left the service and it seemed he was able to live a good life and put those horrible years behind him

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]

We in Australia have NOT forgotten.
    I remember reading that a group of American soldiers walked into a camp full of Australians...the Japanese just dropped their weapons and didn't oppose the Americans coming in...the US Officer walked around the camp and took in the conditions and the state of the Australians...he then lined up the Japanese officers along the side of the dirt road outside the camp and shot them all in the back of the head, without a word spoken. Just another reason I respect the Americans.

A-58 likes this.
  3. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Active Member Patron  

I know the the Australians also suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese. I believe the picture you posted is a pretty well known one of an Australian pilot. I wa going to post some pictures but still trying to work my way through the site. Thanks for your feedback!

4. lwd

lwd Ace

There are a number of threads here on the topic or related to it. Part of the reason seams to be that a lot of people concentrate on the war in Europe and if they read much about the Pacific it's Pearl Harbor, Midway, and the atomic bombs.