Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese Soldiers Calling "Corpsman"

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by dogsofwar, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dogsofwar

dogsofwar recruit

Hello,

I have heard that the Marines changed the name of the Corpsman giving first aid because the Japanese soldiers were calling them so they could shoot them. It was changed to something they could not pronounce correctly. Can anyone please tell me what they changed it to? Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Jim Spencer
    Franklinville, NJ

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

I have never that particular story, but sign and counter sign codes would be chosen to trip up non-english speakers.

3. dogsofwar

dogsofwar recruit

Thank you very much for the reply. I saw this story on either the History channel or the Military channel. I'm guessing that the word they changed it to had the letter L in it because they would pronounce the word blue as brue.

4. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

I remember this yeah it happend a few times somtimes it was a trap to shot corpsman and wound them so they can kill the marines that would try to save him but im sure some wounded japanese soldiers were treated if they said the magic word.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Many of the "sign/counter sign" words in the PTO were picked because of the lack of ability for the Japanese to pronounce the "L" sound without tuning it into an audible "R". Examples were Lucky, Left, Lost, etc.

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Has anyone esle noticed that the Quick reply box will double print a word sometimes at the end of a line. When you go to edit it, it's gone only to reappear when you hit post?

7. dogsofwar

dogsofwar recruit

Thank you very much for the replies!