Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese strip maps

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by 6thbombgroup, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 6thbombgroup

6thbombgroup recruit

My father was a member of the 6th bomb group. He recently passed away and we are going through his belongings. We came across 3 strip maps of the Japanese islands prepared by the "director of intelligence". My father was a navigator aboard fire bomb missions. Does anyone know the value of these maps? They are in pristine condition. I have a feeling he forgot he had them! I don't know if we should donate them to a museum or just keep them for their sentimental value. He was extremely proud of his military service.

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I would see about getting them professionally framed. Their monetary value is of little consequence when compared to their family history.

formerjughead likes this.
  3. syscom3

syscom3 Member

How about scanning them and sharing them with us? I bet the veterans at the B29 website would be interested in what you have.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think Luke has a point. We're not really equipped to be a valuation service. I'm sure you could take them to a university museum, but you probably would be better off having them professionally mounted and kept as a reminder of your father's service.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I like that idea, as well. I'd be interested in seeing them.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Id send them to a Museum. However, they might not ever be seen by more than those who work in and volunteer for the History Collection Dept. Reason I say this is because I volunteered for a few years to do research on historical artifacts at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. I was one who went through and did research on thousands of items in their collections. I was also responsible for correcting ID mistakes and also finding out what items were that were previously not identified. The only piece I never IDed while working there was a 1 inch square piece of leather. Had nothing on it on either side but it reminded me of leather ID tags that the US Army gave to Plains Indians who went into Reservations. That blank tab COULD have been an unused ID tag?? but I guess we'll never know?

Anyway, my point to the above is, if you donate it to a Museum? at least the item will be properly looked after and cared for and COULD end up on display someday. The trouble wiht the Museums ive volunteered for, is that they have so much stored in back rooms that it would take centuries to show off all the items in their stocks. Shame too because they have great things that SHOULD be seen by the public.

Both Museums I volunteered for-2nd one was the Conner Museum in Kingsville, Tx) had outstanding collections of militaria, guns and small artillery pieces that collectors could only dream of seeing let alone having.

7. 6thbombgroup

6thbombgroup recruit

Thanks all! they are impossible to scan because of their shape and size ( they are rather long and skinny). I might try to take photos, but would have the same problem. Basically they are aerial maps with photos of the islands with miles and latitudinal or longitudinal(?) degrees labelled between them. They are target maps. I guess we will have them framed and hang them up somewhere. I just wish we had been able to talk to my father about them before he died. I bet he would have had some interesting stories! I'm just curious if anyone else from that era has similar maps.

8. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

If you get them framed, ask the person that does it if they can do a panorama photo for you, which you can just get developed. I know a couple folks who have done that.