Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Japanese tanks of the interwar years ?

Discussion in 'Pre-World War 2 Armour' started by Skua, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How did Japanes tanks of the early thirties, and the Type 89 in particular, compare to British, French and Soviet designs of the same period ?

2. tom!

tom! recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Hi.

I recently wrote an article on the early japanese tanks:

From the strategy wargames forum:

As the type 89 medium tank was based on the british Vickers Medium Mk C the tank can not really be compared with this vehicle. The type 89 was lighter, had a thicker armour and a better engine, especially after the serial production of the new diesel engine started in 1932.

Great Britain, France and the USA had a lot of projects for similar tanks in the late 20th but none of them were built in larger numbers.
    The only exception were the french D1 and D2 infantry tanks with specifications similar to the type 89. But comparing is again difficult as the type 89 and the D1/D2 were used in different ways.

I don´t think that there was a comparable tank in the arsenals of the western allies in the early 30th.

The Soviet Union started the development of light tanks in the late 20th. Especially the BT-Series was very good. Both the BT 2 and the T 26 were equipped with a 37 mm gun in 1933. Upgunned like that they were compareable to the type 89 tank in my opinion.

The type 89 met the BT 2 at Nomonhan and was outclassed as the BT 2 were upgraded in the thirties, the type 89 not.

Yours

tom! ;)

edit:
    I reorganised my picture database so the links shown above are not working.

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Great article again!

I'm impressed that they managed to put more armour on, but end up with a lighter tank! :eek:

4. tom!

tom! recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Hi.

Well, the Vickers Medium Mk C had a 5 -men-crew and 4 machine guns. The type 89 had only 4 men and 2 MG. So the fighting compartment could be made more compact. The overall size of the japanese tank is smaller.

The type 89 had a weight of 10,8 t in the preproduction series. This was about 800 kg less weight than the Mk C had. There were about 5 years of industrial development between this tanks.

On the other hand the Mk C had a maximum speed of 32 km/h, the type 89 only 25 km/h.

Yours

tom! ;)

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ah, I see.

Thanks Tom! :D

6. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Suberb again, tom! :)

Lieutenant-General Tomio Hara wrote that the Type 89 proved to be a very effective tank during the first and second Shanghai Incidents and showed excellent mobility during the Jeho Operation ( 1934 ) and the China Incindent ( 1937 ). The imported Renault NC tanks used during the first Shanghai Incident ( 1932 ) alongside the Type 89 compared very unfavourably with the latter, both in combat and regarding mechanical reliability.