Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

JB Jefferson Barracks

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Apr 27, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Every year there is a major reenactment in St Louis Mo. this years thru the MVPA there are 50 ww2 vehicles to be in attendance, and for our little unit the 21st inf. It will be our first event outside of Arkansas. (im taking 3 men plus myself in my van, and they are all very excited) Im sure it will take a while for them to have their eyes stop being pinwheels.This time we will have much more film and digitals so we can have better pix for the website. Wilhelm, Tommie, and Austin will be with the kriegs, as we venture into the real world. We have our HRS cards. Mine arrived today.We will represent two units the 21st and the RUR or Royal Ulster Rifles, my P37 is all ready as is my webgear and my tea cup and my mess lit. so is my beret and my airborne helmet with net and scrim. Will is borrowing my SMLE and i will have an Enfield revolver. the Militaria show will allow us to pick up odds and ends. Like I could use a Canvas web holster for the pistol and maybe a lanyard to anchor it to my web belt. some insignia for the denison and the bd jacket. my wife is terrified that I will not return as her mother was killed in a head on collision in Springfield Il oct 3, 2005 pray for traveling mercies from the allmighty.so we have a bivy tent and its going to be all right to mix officers (me) with other ranks (Will) he had really good luck in getting his kit together at the last minute. Ta

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

For me this will be a triumphal return as the last time I was able to go was April 2002 , in may 2002 i was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was unable to attend in 2003 due to the fact that I was still recovering from surgery, lack of funds kept me away in 2004 and 2005, so this will be my first trip back since 2002.

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

oh no i just checked the weather and it says T-Storms both days. this is how it was in 2002. there was only good weather on Sunday but now they are saying T storms on both days

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    When will the event take place? How many other reenactors will be there?

Enjoy your triumphant return!

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

April 29-30 are the dates we leave for st louis today at 5 pm, there will between 500 and a thousand other reenactors and friends(the crowd who watches) the reenactment has always drawn veterans collectors and just ordinary people in the area who love the show that we put on for them

6. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

i just got back from JB, I met loads of people and was very happpy with my participation as commander of a unit
    . and i even sang at the dance with a mike. won an infantry assault badge, a wound badge, and was told but my record I
    i am close to my ek.

7. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    as above

Very interesting, I'm always interested in re-enactment.
    I presume that the assault and wound badges are German?
    What did you have to achieve to win them?
    Could you please explain the last part of your post, probably me but can not understand it.
    Glad you had a good week end. Looking forward to any photographs.

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

the wound badge is for any wound received in combat it looks like a stahlhelm with crossed bayonets under it. the Germans used it like the American purple heart. in reenactment you are entitled to a wound badge if you are injured during a reenactment battle and require medical attention. the Infantry assault badge is awarded to soldaten who charge the enemy under fire, of course thats a lot easier to do as a reenactor since they are only firing blanks but many reenactors(not singling out any group or nationality) have a tendency to hang back and fire from cover and not risk a hit by assaulting enemy positions. and last of all the Germans were quite liberal about awarding the ek Or eiserne Kreuze zweite klasse (Iron Cross second class) in reenactment you need to have participated in 15 battles to win an Iron Cross 2nd class, and 30 reenactments to win an iron cross first class. The Germans wore their decorations on their combat uniform which partly accounts for the popularity of being a German reenactors you get to wear all these do dads

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

i was injured at Curtiss. the battle pictured in our website in my back and required a doctors visit and an MRI that gives me a wound badge. My total of battles is now 12 and 3 more are needed for a total of 15 although I am already entitled to an Iron Cross, since my DD214 shows an ARCOM or army commendation medal- it is the equivalent of an iron cross. i led my unit in an assault against a M5 Stewart tank and its accompanying infantry with a Rifle squad made up largely of men from my unit. I was waving my P38 and firing at the enemy and took out a Captain and a Lt. although there were disputes about who actually fired the shots as there were also 98K armed infantry firing at the two American Officers, but regardless of whether there was one or two holes in their bodies i did lead my men in an assault at the last battle of JB. after which i was near the announcer and was asked to demontstrate the function and history of the mauser 98K

10. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    badges

WOW! great stuff, I do know what the badges are, had a few in my collection since 45 but wondered what they were awarded for in your case, but 'alles klar' now. (Translaton for non German speakers) 'all clear'.
    Also have an iron cross with a Hitler Youth leaders badge and a mine- sweepers badge pinned on. See if I can find it and post pic.

11. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    iron cross

just for you KP. (minor malfunction on last post)

12. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

ich bin erstaunt. I am amazed, danke danke. thanks,thanks, this is like getting it for real. our spruch or motto for the einundzwanzig (21st) is; kommen sie mit mir, und ich werde ihnen zeigen wo die eiserne Kreuze wachsen. a line from Cross of Iron, come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow.

13. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    JB

Every year that I attend this event i learn about new things, this year there was a contingent of Italian troops (4) two of them were in Cammo and two in black shirts the leader was in JB in 2002 as a bersalglieri and I really enjoyed his impression then this was even better, they did not hang back at all, in fact almost all the soldaten present did a fantastic job

14. germanm36tunic

germanm36tunic New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Awesome

That Iron Cross you have Merlin is Great. I saw something similar on Antique show, it went for over 5,000 dollars.

15. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    cross of iron

$5,000! can't think why, there were thousands knocking about, you wouldn't like to make me an offer a 'poor old pensioner' can't refuse!!! :roll: How about this, NOT REPRO!!! (not what I was looking for but not bad, Gallipopli Star WW1)

16. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    SS

This is what I was looking for.

17. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    as above

Whoops, the badge was a mistake, (all numbers similar!!)Try again!

18. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This time!!

BLADE INSCRIPTION.

19. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The first picture says "Meine Ehre heißt Treue", my honour is loyalty. I can't read the second one except for the signature - Heinrich Himmler!