Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

JFK

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by downfall1983, Jun 2, 2005.

1. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

in the 1991 movie JFK, starring Kevin Costner. I was wondering if the "general" played by Donald Sutherland was fictious or not? I do know the other characters existed like Jim Garrison played by Costner.
    does anyone know?

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I read in an interview with Stone that the General was fictious. They needed a person who they could use in the film to tie ends together. Apparently (quite) a few things he said in that conversation on the Mall (let alone the conversation) never happened either.

According to a BBC documentary this is all fiction anyway. I saw it about a year ago and they made a compelling case for Oswald as the sole assassin. Maybe you should check the BBC site to see if they still have program info on it. I can't remember what program it was. Something like Panorama.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ironically, the real Jim Garrison, a severe critic of theWarren Commission, plays Supreme Court Chief Justice, Earl warren in the film. Actual assassination witness Beverly Oliver
    also appeared in a cameo, non-speaking role. Gerald Hemming (long suspected as having, at least, pre-assassination knowledge of the assassination), photographic expert and longtime JFK assassination researcher and author Robert Groden, and actual assassination witness Jean Hill were some of the many advisors for the film. One of the characters in the movie, "General X," (played by Sutherland) was loosely based on L Fletcher Prouty´s theories and actual military experience. (However, at the time of the assassination Prouty had no connection to Presidential security as is implied in the film). Prouty was a former Colonel in the Air Force and military liaison between the CIA and the Pentagon who wrote the 1975, (1992 republished) book The Secret Team: The CIA and Its Allies in Control of the United States and the World, was also used as an advisor for the movie.

absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/J/JF/JFK_(movie)2.htm

( the Forums did not accept all the marks so I took out the www. )

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Dutch journalist WIllem Oltmans plays the (tiny) role of baron George De Mohrenschildt, who was considered a "friend" of Oswald. Oltmans interviewed De Mohrenschildt several times and was very friendly with him, before he committed suicide. According to Oltmans De Mohrenschildt always knew more about the assassination than he told and was, in fact, murdered.

Oltmans died last year. A very interesting character himself. He studied at Yale and could tell quite some stories about the "Skull and Bones society" there. Any conspiracy-affectionado should read Oltmans... [​IMG]

You can read about the BBC doc I mentioned at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3226908.stm

It is for sale on Amazon as well.

5. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

Thanks for the help.

6. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Oliver Stone has always loved conspiracy theories, and JFK is the film in which he drew more 'conclusions' than on any other. But he is not an unpartial director. He doesn't leave anything in the open. That's why he's so hated and so loved.

But the film is magnificent, and Oliver Stone is a great director. And, though we can't use the film as a historical source, it does get you thinking, and that's important.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If they did not have the film on the shooting where you can see how Kennedy´s head tilts backwards we would not have any discussions on the issue really (?). (All the blame would have been put on Oswald). But you cannot just put that piece of evidence away and thus if Oswald shot then there was another man there, too. Wonder if we´ll ever know the truth.

8. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

For all you conspiracy theorists...

There had to have been a conspiracy. Right? Oswald fired 3 shots. The first missed. The third was a fatal headshot. The second bullet had to account for the seven remaining wounds in JFK and the governer. That bullet would have had to stop in midair and turn to inflict the wounds on Kennedy and Connally as indicated below.

[​IMG]

But there is one thing wrong with that, Connally wasn't sitting at the same height as Kennedy. The photo below was taken after the limo was returned to Washington. You can clearly see the Governor's sit is significantly lower.

[​IMG]

And Connally wasn't directly in front of JFK either. This photo shows he was well inboard of Kennedy.

[​IMG]

With this information, it doesn't seem like a "magic bullet" at all.
    [​IMG]

Where does that red line lead? Right up to Lee Harvey Oswald in the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository.

[​IMG]

</font>

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yep, Colonel,

but who shot Kennedy from ahead as in the film you can see Kennedy´s head tilts backwards as he is hit in the head?

10. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

All of you being WWII experts, you should know this better than anyone. When you are shot, your body doesn't go the same way as the bullet is going. That is pure hollywood magic. If you've ever watched "Mail Call" before you can see a fine example. When R Lee Ermey decides to blow up some melons with his weapon of the week, the melons don't all shoot backwards (even with the 50 cal).

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

[ 13. December 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Erich ]

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

without a doubt Kai in my book. there is another thread for 1-2 years ago started here covering the possible conspiracy. Years ago I saw the un-touched movie of JFK getting popped from both sides, in front as well as the back. the shot to the head blew the opposite side of his head out and away as the car sped away under the shallow bridge...............he was a gonner from that shot and Jacqueline poor gal was covered in brain tissue.

only a couple of years ago was this extended footage revealed on the history channel and the film was altered for clarification

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thats just like that rodney king footage of his beating. You never get the full story without all the footage.

I saw the video--the full amount of footage aired on NBC nightly news (w/ Tom Brokaw)(SP?) of the rodney king beating. Had the frigging media played the full footage, you would have seen king get out of his car and wake towards the officers--threatening them. If I were one of those cops that day, I would have used the same kind of force those policemen did.

Sorry to ruin your JKF thread but, in a way, this has a similiarity with the missing JFK footage.

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If you haven´t watched the movie "Parkland" I suggest you do. There were actually 5-6 colour films of the shooting place and the environement at the same time. They show these in the film. Maybe they told us, but they practically used only one film as evidence.... Christ. What bad Police work. The films show the area behind the shooting, the hill in front of the car convoy etc. Jus unbelievably these were not used, I think, in the final shooting commentary.

16. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The "magic bullet" idea is based on ignorance of one simple fact. The Governor was sitting lower than POTUS.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

This one also came clear with the film, or the grass bank ahead of the car there was nobody there shooting according to the films.

They believed that actually Oswald shot his closest shot to the Traffic light instead of Kennedy, but unfortunately the metal body was changed during the years.

Due to the old films I like this one better than the Oliver Stone version, you do see what happens almost everywhere as the cameras start shooting as Kennedy comes in sight.

18. OpanaPointer

People also claim he couldn't have gotten the shots off in the time allowed.

1.Load
    Acquire
    Aim
    Fire
    2. Load
    ReAcquire
    Aim
    Fire
    3.Load
    ReAcquire
    Aim
    Fire

Fair enough, but that's not what happened. For three shots it would have been.

1. Acquire
    Aim
    Fire
    2. Load
    ReAcquire
    Aim
    Fire
    3.Load
    ReAcquire
    Aim
    Fire

And that is completely doable in the time allowed.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Opana nails it, almost. It's possible to do within the Warren Commission Reports 6 seconds. It's almost child's play within the longer time frame that modern forensics have put together using footage and other evidence. The shots were likely spread out over nearly nine seconds.

What people forget with either scenario is that the clock doesn't start ticking until the first shot is actually fired. So there is no Acquire - Aim for that first shot. The clock starts at the first shot, so it's actually two shots fired over the following (6 or 9) seconds.

The other thing Warren likely got wrong is the order of the shots. There is some pretty strong evidence that the first shot was the hit through the back/neck, the second shot the miss, and the third shot the hit on Kennedy's head. That doesn't change anything, but it shows what can be done with modern forensics and computer analysis of the film/audio, etc, that couldn't be done in Warren's day. Those details that the Commission got wrong fuel conspiracies to this day.

As a couple of people point out above, the head jerking rearward is not proof of a shot from the front, rather it's absolute proof of a shot from the rear. When a bullet enters a gel-filled container (think melon if you don't want to think of a head), the FMJ slug pierces the hard outer shell of the object with little disruption, but as it passes through the gel in the interior if forms a pressure wave ahead of it then exits pulling all that matter with it. It is that "jet effect" of matter exiting that pushes the melon (or head) towards the shooter. You can find dozens of examples of that on YouTube, all done to disprove the silly assertions in the Oliver Stone film.

20. OpanaPointer

The conspiracy proponents never give up no matter how many fatal flaws appear to negate their theory.