Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Joesph C. Stopher

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by lindau17, May 23, 2014.

1. lindau17

lindau17 New Member

My grandfather Joseph Christopher Stopher recently passed, and we just found out reading his old letters home that he was the lead sniper for the 29th infantry division- 1 of only about 30 guys in his unit that made it back.

He never spoke about any of his experiences in the war...trying to learn as much about them now that I can.

Looking forward to joining the discussion and tributes here.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. lindau17

lindau17 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the link Tommy, checking it out now!

4. lindau17

lindau17 New Member

Just reading one of his letters home...deep in France, as lead sniper my grandpa was in the attic of a french house, scouting a Nazi camp.

He took out 2 Nazis with 2 shots, then ran into the cellar, and through a tunnel to the neighboring house. While in the underground tunnel...the Germans start shelling the house he was initially firing from.

He then climbs into the attic of the next French house and takes out 2 more Germans...again runs down into the cellar and down the tunnel....meanwhile the Germans shell the 2nd French house, as well as the entire next 7 French houses in the block.

My grandpa in the note said he stayed in the pitch-black tunnel for over a week before he ventured out...and found his way back to the 29th infantry camp.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Fascinating story, Lindau. Is the letter dated? Maybe you can determine his (very) approximate location from the 29th Division AARs.