Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Joyeux Noël" "Merry Christmas"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Sturmkreuz, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

I think of buying this video because:

It's is such a beautiful movie.. The first one where you see the Germans, French and Scottish celebrating Christmas together. Instead of seeing movies where they shoot the hell out of eachother.

This movie is based on true facts. In 1914 it really happend what you see in this movie. There is some fighting but you see those soldiers playing football together, singing songs, ask questions, drink together and many more.

It's is a movie which I really appreciate.
    That Christmas without fighting, but celebrating with eachother.

What do you think about this movie. I'm not talking about the shooting, I'm talkin about the fact that they celebrated Christmas together.

Clip: YouTube - Joyeux Noël

Information: Joyeux Noël (2005)

[​IMG]

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Fantastic movie, I watched it a while ago but bought it for my Dad this Christmas. It is really well made (only a couple of errors that I noiced), quite moving at times and pretty well researched. If you watch the extras the director talks about how he deleted some of the scenes of actual events because he didn't think the audience would believe them.

3. Joe

Joe Ace

That was on telly yesterday, Good film.
    I disliked the bit at the end when the British officer ordered his men to shoot at the German crossing no-man's land, but actually they shot a Frenchman.
    Oh yes, and the French and Germans argued over the name of the cat!

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

The cat being arrested actually happened, pretty entertainingstory about a cat who carried a message in his collar asking which regiment the french troops were from, this made its way back to a general who decided to arrest and shoot the cat.

5. Joe

Joe Ace

Poor cat! Call the RSPCA!

Wierd things happen during wartime.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It is a nice film. A great Christmas gift too.

Sturmkreuz likes this.
  7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Does anyone know if this is a Region 0 or 1 DvD? I'd be interested in ------ checking it out.

8. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

C.Evans, I rented this movie about a year ago from the Family Video in Fulton, Missouri. There are region 1 DVD's for this title ;)

Sturmkreuz and Otto like this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

do you mean your DVD player doesn't play other regions? We used to reprogrammate our players as soon as we bought them for all regions, so now the sellers don't bother with zone control and our players read them all. If you have a new device you should try a zone 2 dvd, It may actually work.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi CGEvM, Skipper,

CGEvM, thanks for letting me knoe. Im going to check all the DvD sites I haunt and will look for this title.

Skipper, actually, i've never tried a zone 2 DvD in it. I don't think it will play it because my player was one I bought in early 2004 and is a Sony - I don't remember which model it is though? and is supposed to (then) be top of the line players. I have been tolf that mine can be rendered a zone free player but that it was not recommended to try making it so. Im probably going to buy a new DvD player this year and see if I can get a tech guy to render it all regions. I know mine for sure plays both region 1 and 0.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

If it doesn't work you can also hook up your computer on your tv and play it via your computer dvd player.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, thanks for this as well. I'll try that out after I can get hooked up at home. I might be relocating sometime late Summer and im hoping where I do go that they are current on things.

13. Fallschirmjaeger

Fallschirmjaeger Member

That was a really good film. One of the best Christmas/History films ever.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

It did not 'look' like it would have been good but I guess I may have to take a look at it now. Thanks.

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Really beautiful film, I think!

The soudtrack at least was supperb, with superstars Rolando Villazón and Natalie Dessay singing the opera parts! A film to please war-movie fans, romantic girls and just everyone! :D

Thumbs up!

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I also like the performance by Danny Boone, the soliers who plays a farmer from northern France who goes to battle with an alarm clock because he spends the little money he has to get food for his family and cannot afford a watch. H etherefore knows when the Germans are going to attack because they always attack at the same hour, when his alarm rings rings. He is the one who gets killed at the end by trying to sneak food to his loved ones and crossing the German lines with a German uniform. He speaks a local dialect from the Arras area that cannot be translated, but makes the film all the more realistic

17. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

How bizzare,

I watched this film yesterday. I'd agree with most that it was a enjoyable film on the feel good factor front. However I doubt it was very historically accurate. 7/10 and I'd put it on your list of films to buy/watch.

Cheers

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Why doubt it's accuracy Joe? If you watch the extras they explain where a lot of the elements came from. Whilst clearly all that stuff didn't happen in a single place, it is a pretty good drawing in of many elements of fact. Very much 'based on a true story.'

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Joe this really happened.

pictures of the 1914-15 fraternisation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member