Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

July 9th 1945, only 63 years ago

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Ron Goldstein, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Some ten years ago I gave myself the mammoth task of transferring all of my wartime memorabilia onto my PC.

This involved transcribing two year's of diary entries, scanning 90 pages of my Army Album
    Ron Goldstein's Actual Army Album
    and, just to make it easier, posting over 100 articles onto the then BBC WW2 Peoples War website.

On the credit side, once all this had been done, I was and am still able to call up virtually any wartime date at the click of a mouse.

Take today, the 9th of July, for example.

In 1945 my unit had just finished a month long stint running a POW camp at Ferndorf and a few lucky troopers, including myself had been given a week's leave at Velden in Austria.

I obviously had a cracking time and I duly recorded it in the Album on Page 28 (if you do go there, be warned, there are 90 pages !)

ps
    I also had a look at the 4th Hussars Regimental Diary for the same period.

July 5th - Five SS ORs arrested.
    July 6th - Four SS ORs arrested.
    July 7th - Three SS ORs arrested.
    July 8th - Regt moved to area GRAFENSTEIN coming under command 26th Armd Bde in the 6th Armd Div. A and C Sqns were now re-equipped with Staghound ACs and the Recce Tp with Greyhound ACs. B Sqn was re-equipped with five Tps of Shermans, each Tp having 2 with 76mm guns and one 17pdr.
    July 9-20th - Nothing to report.

Typical ! I see that the minute I went on leave there was nothing to report.
    In case you are wondering the "5 SS ORs arrested" were part of my unit's job of rounding up known SS officers & "other ranks".

Attached Files:

Miguel B. likes this.
  2. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Thank you for charing... I'll be sure to read it once my exams end!

Cheers...

3. purljam

purljam Member

Wow, that's awesome. The link is blocked here at work, but I'll have a chance to read it tomorrow night.

4. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Found this recently, Mr. Goldstein. Thanks for going to all the trouble to post your great story here. I will see to it that my children understand the enormity of the Allied struggle and the honor due those who participated, those who gave the last full measure of effort and duty.

Take care, Sir.
    "Salute"

RK

5. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

A special thanks to you Ron Goldstein for that which you have preserved and shared with us and others who are to follow in viewing and reading what you provide, with the most modern of computer using skills so these things are not lost. Like the many Rogues on this forum that have a lifelong honing of skills with computers and media that enables this sharing I am indebted for yours and their contributions. Of myself, I see myself dwarfed, by how tall the rogues stand beside their contributions... comments and contributions by which the rest of us learn and gleen much new information about our subject matter due to your persistence at sharing effectively with such elevated efforts....... as I have to struggle myself to keep up with the newer technologies that are available. I can't help but get back to Tom Brokaw's assessment of "The Greatest Generation" when I witness the efforts.

6. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Thank you for posting this Ron - I will definitely be reading this today and tomorrow :)