Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jumbo Sherman partial restoration

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by TD-Tommy776, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow Patron  

I was at Camp Ripley near Little Falls, MN this past weekend for the 75th Anniversary event for the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate). While there, I was able to take a few snapshots of the recently restored Jumbo that is in the Minnesota Military Museum collection. The restoration was pretty much limited to the exterior. The Bismarck Tribune has a nice article discussing the restoration project.

JumboSherm2lf.jpg

JumboSherm3lf.jpg

JumboSherm4lf.jpg

JumboSherm5lf.jpg

Otto, belasar, KJ Jr and 5 others like this.
  2. Half Track

Half Track Active Member

Good article, that is a great job of restoring a great tank. They are very fortunate to have it. Great photos and thanks for posting them!

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

A minor correction to the article. The M4A3E2 was not developed to defeat the Panther or Tiger. It was developed as an interim assault tank for the invasion of the Europe and breaching the German shore defenses, but was delivered too late for that mission.

USMCPrice likes this.
  4. TD-Tommy776

A friend just forwarded me a link to Pierre-Olivier Buan's Flickr page with 58 photos of the interior of the Camp Ripley Jumbo. To say it needs a bit of work is a major understatement. Pierre-Olivier was the consultant mentioned in the article above.

Half Track and von Poop like this.
  5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

When you consider it's 70+ years old, and has likely never been spruced up, that's actually not too bad.
    Most of the fittings intact.

I'm slightly ashamed of this nerdish reaction; but the one thing it really needs & that immediately looks a little wrong when missing on a Jumbo, is the set of duckbills.
    I know you don't always see pictures of them fully fitted, but they ought to be there.
    Wonder how hard they are to find... oil-covered bloke I chatted to at Beltring once said tracks were quite easy to get with the application of cash. Seems unlikely for such fitting, unless millions were kept in storage somewhere.

6. Half Track

Half Track Active Member

Still, very interesting! Thanks

7. TD-Tommy776

In a perfect world... :) I suspect they were operating with a limited budget and had to make some tough decisions. I do like that they mounted a .30 cal MG barrel. It looks much better than just plugging the hole, as some have done.

von Poop likes this.
  8. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Depends on what type. I would assume VVSS track is easier to find, but just try to find some HVSS track in good condition! If you come across a source let me know... I could use about 10 links... *ssshhh* ....

Otto and von Poop like this.
  9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

:D
    This was a while back.
    Presumably condition is the embuggering word there?

Like I said: ashamed of my nerdish reaction to Jumbo - it's a rare beauty (Shadock reckons maybe 9 survivors), and I approve of all attempts to preserve such. Merely a detail.
    Should it be on rubber blocks?.. Nice set of Chevrons or steel tread would finish it off? (See. I did it again. Cannot help myself.)

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  10. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Correct. Rubber track (I am looking for T84 pattern) wears over 75ish years -- it is difficult to find some in NOS condition. I am a few links short... would like to complete the collection so to speak.

11. TD-Tommy776

Was there any official record kept which would indicate to which unit a particular M4A3E2 was assigned? By unit, I mean at any level. I recall reading on the Shadock website that they were not tracked by SN/RN, but by "Tank, Medium" or something like that.

12. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The sad truth is that postwar the vehicle record cards were destroyed to "save space". In the same way the Artillery School decided to destroy all the battery firing records. So we have no clear record of where various production runs went and the M4A3E2 is especially difficult to track. 254 were built and 246 to 252 made it to Europe, with around 70 returned at the end of the war to CONUS.