Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jumping Tank

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by smeghead phpbb3, Oct 2, 2006.

1. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
  2. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That is entertaining.Imagine the damage just one modern MBT could do on any pre-1980's battlefield!The speed and mobility of todays MBT's is incredible!

3. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Awesome. But what if they used an M1? Doesn't it have a slightly faster speed?

4. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, M1 Abrams is faster. But it also weighs ~60 tons, depending on the model, whereas T-80 weighs less than 50 tons. My point is, Abrams' suspension might not be able to cope with that kind of jumping. It's some kind of show-off for the Russians; they're very often showing the jumping abilities of T-80 and T-90.

5. Gryle

Gryle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Some crews have got their M1s airborne, sometimes even unintentionally or so I've heard. For an example see here about 55 seconds in:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=q0Oen7VEXN4
    if you tried you could probably get almost any post '60s MBT airborne, if you had to order parts for it afterwards is another matter.

On Youtube there is footage of a Canadian Leopard 1 doing something similar to that russian tank.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=acUNmIq8D8g

It's not good for any tank, you will break suspension components from time to time and eventually put stress cracks in the hull.

It does look pretty neat though. :)

6. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    M1A1 faster? I always thought the T-80 was ~5kph faster; even if I'm wrong it is only by a negligable about. However, the max speed of a tank refers to on-road speed, and the T-80 has significatly better off-road performance than the larger and heavier M1A1... Largely because the Russians seem to prize mobility and speed over armor and protection, and thin-skinned tanks like the T-80 rely almost entirely upon Kontakt-5 ERA cells for protection... However it does make the tank light enough to warrant excellent cross country performance, which it need because Russia doesnt exactly have mirror-smooth roads :smok: