Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Juno Beach Centre

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by sommecourt, Jul 12, 2003.

1. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Just got back from a week in Normandy, and paid a visit to the new Juno Beach Centre which opened on 6th June. Being a new, modern museum, I was a little bit anxious about what I would find, but must say it was EXCELLENT; it told the story of Canada's role in WW2 very well and used modern technology superbly.

It also had a well stocked bookshop with some great Canadian titles which I have never seen before!

Well worth a visit next time you are in Normandy.

2. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks for the link to your write up. I know I plan on visiting. Funds for the Juno Beach Centre were raised primarily from average Canadians and corporate sponsors. It was the primary sponsorship by Canadian WalMarts up to its completion. I remember being up at a very early morning hour here in order to watch the special ceremonies opening the museum.

Michelle

5. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Glad you found that of use. It's a while since I wrote the above, but I still go to the centre every year, and never tire of it. A real tribute to the Canadian contribution to the outcome of WW2.

6. bf109 emil

bf109 emil Member

The only fottage of the first wave landing on any 5 beeches was at Juno...numerous shots of this scene are showed in British, and American reels

YouTube - D-Day: Juno Beach Landing

A couple of tid-bits to my father memmory...he had a friend whom never got his feet wet, as his craft had a door similar to the one scene in saving private ryan, which droped forward, exposing the infantry to MG fire....as well as his brother (my uncle) would never eat strawberry jam, hated the stuff...inquired as to why later and dad said...after about 3 days, rations where tossed to the initial troops, but because labels washed off one was unsure as to what they would open and find...after 3 days of bloody and brutual fighting, and the first heated meal..a tin of food, my uncle opened to find he had a can of strawberry jam...he downed it, but since June 9, 1944, he never ate another drop until his passing in march of '88

bf109 Emil

7. IanPom

IanPom recruit

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks for the article, IanPom. I was interested in the last bit about the other monument near Verrieres Ridge where the 2nd Division fought in July & August, as that is where my Dad was at that time.

9. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues