Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Just out of curiousity; why so little discussion with latest gen CM games?

Discussion in 'Combat Mission' started by Paulverisor64, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I'm in the process of playing my 5th PBEM. I'm really enjoying CMBN and CMFI.

I'm just curious why there isn't much interest on this forum for the latest generation of Combat Mission games.

The graphics are much improved and other game mechanics have been revamped. I like the game's relative spotting. I also like how each unit can multi target.

This would seem to be the perfect game for those looking for historical, ballistic and game environment accuracy.

There are some nit picky flaws in an otherwise top notch game.

Are there reasons why you haven't played the pieces out of this game?

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I love the old CM series. I can't say I've ever played the new versions. I liked the old blocky graphics style, but the graphics were irrelevant because the gameplay was so solid & rich. We have an unfinished tournament from 2009 I'd like to complete sometime, maybe it's time to kick off CM gameplay around here again.

3. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Combat mission games feel very hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes accuracy and detail don't really leave an experience that gets individuals returning. Since there's only one war, and thousands of games of it, it is difficult to really keep interested unless it has some specifics to it that does keep a player (could be the things you've mentioned so what do I know) I honestly feel that the genre is dying sadly, or being swept under the rug at an alarming rate. People who are fans of the genre, or the play style probably don't play often enough or stick to a specific title to quench their games OR they're too busy playing them to really pass on the good word to let others reap in the rewarding experiences as well. That being said some companies are also very weird with distributing their games and products, some charge insanely for their games even if they lack certain functions or standards common or even depth that we're used to with other games with the same pricing. (55 for the latest am I right? Sheesh)

But I really agree. I will probably look into the latest one they have in a few days and spin my opinion on it. However most of these games simply don't get discussed because not many know about it - so you've already done a good deed by mentioning it like so. I also appreciate their willingness to cater to the Mac users as well. I wouldn't bother with that lot if it were up to me ;)

4. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I appreciate your feedback guys.

A good way to find out whether you like the new game or not is to try out the demo. I too am not hung up on graphics myself, but when they are added without removing accuracy it's a win-win because it adds the immersion factor. I still see this game at the forefront of real life type gameplay accuracy. The game still has the wego system which is great for head to head battles. The PBEM game saves are a bit larger but I've only had to use Drop Box a couple times for files above 10 megs.

I'm certainly not an expert but I'd be glad to give some pointers if any of you should want to give the game a try.

I will say that this game plays out much differently than it's predessor. Artillery seems a bit more lethal. You either move to better shelter or you'll get heavy losses. Spotting seems to be done extremely well.

I do agree that the cost is a bit pricey. Not only that, but the expansion modules are pricey as well. The cost however quickly is negated once it is apparant that this game becomes the best game you've ever played.

Check out this video series. This to me is top notch and it shows what the game is capable of. http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

I still have my pet peeves about the game. I'm just curious whether anyone here might mention any of the annoying quirks that I see the game has. Most of the people on the Battlefront forum don't see the quirks as flaws. Still; I consider this as my game of choice.

Otto: It certainly was a shame that our tournament stalled out. I did enjoy the 1st game I played. Now I can't get the game to even run on my computer system. The latest I heard, both Joe and Matt were still playing this game and enjoying it.

5. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

I'll have to add it to my backlog of games it seems.

6. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

In my opinion, the newer versions of CM don't seem to have the blanace and strategy involved as much as the previous versions. CM:BB & CM:AK were the best in terms of simulating a battle, the most recent releases focus more on arcade stylings and graphics. From what I can tell there are fewer options for your units in the CM:BN than in CM:AK or CM:BB. The old ones don't look as good, but they seem to play better.

7. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I prefer the Turn Based Older CM games vs the RTS of the newer ones. It looses its flavor, the delay in orders, and the helplessness of watching your troops walk into an ambush. The RTS versions, troops respond at the click of your finger and don't react on their own in the same way as the older CM games.

8. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Agreed, turn based CM is best. What's good is that the new releases have the old turn-based system also, which is the only way I play.