Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

K98k or M1 Garand

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Sturmkreuz, Nov 25, 2007.

?

K98k or M1 Garand

1. K98k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. M1 Garand

33 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

These are the two Standard weapons from the German Army and American Army. But which is the best of these two?

G43 vs M1 Garand is better discussion (Both Automatic, Magazine..) but the K98k was more standard, more used and the German liked the K98k more than the G43 and G41.

The K98k was more effective (powerful) than the Garand. Garand was much faster and had more bullets (bigger magazine + automatic).

For those who don't know K98k and K98 are the same.

2. Joe

Joe Ace

Hmmm, no Lee-Enfield...or Mosin-Nagant...

3. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Joe, I only took these 2..

I'm compairing these 2 with eachother..

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Both fire a 170 to 180 grain bullet at about the same muzzle velocity so there is really little to choose between the two in terms of stopping power or penetration. The Garand however does have a huge advantage in rate of fire when necessary. Accuracy under battlefield conditions is again equal. The Garand also has a slightly larger magazine.
    Both weigh about the same. The Garand has a better grenade launcher attachement (less complex, easier to use) although it is a bit more difficult to load blanks for firing rifle grenades with it this is not a huge disadvantage and to a great degree one shared with the K98.
    So, the Garand has two advantages really: Slightly larger magazine and a huge increase in rate of fire. What's to choose? The K98 is inferior as a military weapon.

Sturmkreuz likes this.
  5. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

First they tried it with the G41 but that thing was just one big problem.. Later the G43 came out with these two advantages still the Germans choosed the K98k over this one.

K98 is slower and has lower rate of fire, less magazine store but in combat this one is precisly and effective. Only bad thing about the K98 is that it is a bolt-weapon. Still the bolt has something.

I still think the K98 was a perfect match.

T.A. Gardner thanks for the information;)

6. Joe

Joe Ace

I'm no Rifle expert, but Was there an accuracy advantage with bolt-action weapons?

7. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Bolt-Action Weapons have slighter accuracy advantage.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

in the sniper category I will take the K98 with the proper scope fittings, bunk on the G-41 and the G-43 for this type of deadly work. as general rifle the Garand was top notch yet the K98 served it's purpose on the Ost front in all weather conditions if properly maintained

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

*I'm not suggesting that paintball weapons use can be compared to firearms.*

But is something to think about. I used to play with both pumps and semi-automatic paintball guns. I'll take the semi any day and twice on Sunday. The volume of fire at the critical times generated by the semis was just too important to ignore. It's hard to fire your weapon when you have 4 or 5 rounds coming at you for each one you are able to squeeze off.

It is also interesting to note that all armies went to semi or full automatics after the war for their soldier's firearm.

10. lwd

lwd Ace

Dad used a G-41 as deer rifle. He really liked the gun and so did I but at 16 pounds I'd take the Garand. Semi auto gives the Garand a distinct advantage over the K-98. Battle field accuracy might even be better for the Garand as you don't have to move your hands at to fire a follow up round.

11. luka

luka Member

M1 Garand for me!

12. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I've fired dozens of different rifles over the years. Accuracy has alot of variables.

In terms of a military weapon, there is no difference between a bolt action and a semi-automatic rifle. The ammunition is mass produced, not hand loaded match stuff, the barrel of the gun is prone to fouling and wear as but two variables.
    If anything, the type of sight is more important. A simple V rear sight and post front sight (as on the Enfield or Mauser for example) is less accurate than a rear peep and front post sight as the US typically uses. However, the V works better in low light than the peep sight so there is a trade off there.
    Given the German use of gilded rounds and by mid war often steel cored rounds the accuracy of their small arms suffered because of the ammunition being used. A copper jacketed lead round will be far more accurate than a gilt metal jacketed steel one. But, the Germans were critically short of lead and copper so they went with the second choice.

As it was historically, the only reason the Germans didn't go to a semi-automatic rifle was simply because they couldn't mass produce one on the necessary scale to equip their army with it. Note how quickly they began to move to the assault rifle in 1943 / 44. This was a cheaply mass produced weapon with alot of firepower. By late 1944 many German infantry units had 50% + MP 44 assault rifles in service.

13. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I will choose the M1 Garand as well.

14. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Maybe a poll is better like "Bolt or Semi-Automatic" ?

15. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

I don't get it. Why compare these two guns, or semi-automatic vs bolt action? You might as if people prefer to eat manure or boiled eggs. A soldier wants the best weapon availiable. And the best weapon in this contest is the Garand. The Garand produce a larger volume of fire, and both calibre will knock a man down. As for Bolt Action vs Semi-Auto. It is a given result. If you are going to compare weapons of WWII or whatever use weapons of the same category.

16. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

I don't agree.. It's about which weapon you prefer. Not which is better on overall. Many snipers rather take bolt and some rather take semi-automatic. It's about how you handle them and which you prefer, which weapon fits you the best. You can say thay weapon is better on overall but not everyone will take that weapon.

17. Joe

Joe Ace

Yeah...One of the reasons I voted for the K98K was that it looked better...:D

18. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Well in that case you might find yourself in hot water facing the ugly duckling! :D :D

19. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

Well The Germans tried to take over the Garand. They liked it too so they tried to make a look-a-like of a Garand the G41 (which was one big problem) but than the G43 came out and it was much better. But the Germans liked the Garand but I never saw many pictures of Germans with a Garand (sometimes the M-1 Carbine).
    And the Allied were obsessed with the MG42.

20. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

The Germans very much liked the PPSH-41 ;)