Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

kamakazee

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Mazekwon, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Mazekwon

Mazekwon recruit

i was wondering if there was any kamikazee's on the pearl harbour mission, not if the mission was kamikazee based, just if there were some

thanx

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hi, I don't think there were any Kamikaze at Pearl Harbour simply because the Japanese had no need to employ suicide tactics just as the war started, they were employed later on in the same way the V1 and V2's were used, more out of desperation than anything else.

3. Ron

Ron Member

There were no intended kamakaze attacks but i did here of one pilot that did crash his plane into a target intentionally. I am not sure of his name but he was the leader of a flight of bombers or fighters...nonetheless he recieved so much damage to his plane he knew he would never make it back to his carrier...so he signaled what he was doing and then crashed right into some barracks or planes or some sort of target on the ground....not a ship though...i'm sure of that.
    but even an american did that...during the battle of midway American pilots were attacking the cruisers Mikuma and Mogomi...after recieving so much damage from his plane a certain American pilot (who i believe got the medal of honor for this) crashed his plane right into the Mikuma.
    So "kamakaze style" attacks happened throughout the war on both sides (albet more on the japanese side) but there were no organized attacks of kamakaze's till the battle for Okinawa i believe.

[ 20 December 2001: Message edited by: Ron ]</p>

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Actually, in the short documentary that was added at the end of the newer VHS Cassette release of Tora Tora Tora, a Jap pilot was interviewed and he said that his squadron Commander who was in a damaged plane, crashed his aircraft I think it was into an aircraft hanger on Ford Island? At any rate, it was an intentional Kamakazi attack, but I think only because that pilot knew he wouldnt make it back to his carrier.