Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kamikaze at Pearl Harbor?

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by Mazekwon, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Mazekwon

Mazekwon recruit

Hello, i am new and i was wondering if anyone knows if there was Kamakazees in the pearl harbour mission, not if it was a Kamakazee mission but if there were
    i was just wondering, and reply would be nice
    thanx

2. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Hi Mazekwon. To answer your question: Not in the accepted manner. The Japanese launched several midget submarines to infiltrate the harbor and torpedo any ships undamaged or slightly damaged by the air attack. This would have resulted in extremely high casualties for the subs in the shallow water, as it eventually did. All the submarines were lost in the operation without damaging any warships. They were supposed to return to the "Mother"subs outside the harbor at the conclusion of the attack. As far as aircraft Kamakaze's, I recall reading of one dive bomber pilot, who after having his plane riddled by anti-aircraft fire, deliberately dove his plane into an undamaged airplane hanger on Ford Island. I hope this answers your question. Best wishes, John.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcoma aboard and yes there were Kqamakazis at PH but they werent intentional Kamakazis but a spur of the moment kind of thing. This is based on a pilots decision to do a kamakazi into an aircraft hanger, because he knew he wasnt going to make it back to his ship as his plane was damaged.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome aboard and yes there were Kamakazis at PH but they werent intentional Kamakazis but a spur of the moment kind of thing. This is based on a pilots decision to do a kamakazi into an aircraft hanger, because he knew he wasnt going to make it back to his ship as his plane was damaged.

Sorry for the double posting, I cant seem to delete the entire posting. :rolleyes: :mad:

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

5. Mazekwon

Mazekwon recruit

Thanks guys i appericiate it alot i really like whut you guys are doing here i don't think there is enough forums on topics that are informative, usually just arguements and stuff, and thank you very much for the info and the pleasent welcoming

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Much appreciated and thats why I quit the other forums. Too much childish arguing.

Two days ago as a matter of fact, a friend of mine posted photos of my set of generals Collar Tabs and Mint set of Generalleutnants shoulderboards. This one wellknown controversial idiot, saw that these were mins and in a rageous fit of being a bit jealous of my stuff, just HAD to spout off saying they were fake items even thopugh I know better.

The Genlts boards are stone mint and were part of a purchase I made that was from THE Generals own family. The set of tabs I got when a friend of mine bought another Generals estate from his family for about a cool $100,000, a few years ago. These tabs were part of the estate.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Actually, his impact point (the NAGI, or negative air-ground interface) was nearly 1,000 yards from the nearest hangar.

8. surfersami

surfersami Member

The "devine-wind" was not utilized until later in the war. There were intentional crashing of damaged aircraft into targets of opportunity at PH though. The Russians also used their aircraft for rams, but it wasn't of the same mind set. the Kamakaze was a last ditch effort to try and turn the war, and was a philosophy more than a war winner. They did do a lot of damage though.

9. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Thr Russians used ramming or taran tactics against German aircraft early in the war, but although often fatal it was not usually a deliberate suicide attack; pilots would try to bail out or land their damaged aircraft. One pilot was credited with four taran kills - almost an ace!

10. David_Aiken

David_Aiken recruit

Aloha nui loa All,
    The movies seem to make fiction into fact as I read this thread.

In the movie TORA x3, the director got the 'okay' to set off the Hangar Six explosion at Ford Island for a "Kamikaze" style hit by a Zero depicting a scene which "supposedly" happened at Kaneohe NAS (now USMC base). Yet, had that director walked to the MARKED crash location of that Zero...he would have seen that it was several hundred yards away at the base of "Kansas" Hill.

IF the director had a better writer, he would have been informed of the crash of a dive bomber onto the deck on USS Curtiss near the end of the second wave attack on the harbor. While the plane was NOT a "Kamikaze" (a term invented in 1944), the pilot had been hit by ship fire and diverted to crash into the nearest target. THAT would have been a CORRECT 'story' for the viewers to see, rather than the fiction we are forced to watch and seemingly remember.

Kampai,
    David Aiken
    student of 7 Dec

11. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Greetings David! Folks, David is my sensei for Pearl Harbor!

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I keep hoping the man will post here more often, I saw his coming over in Dec. of last year but, few posts since. Glad to see a few more from the authority on Pearl.

13. Takao

Takao Ace

14. Watson

Watson Member

There is also the case of the Japanese flight commander who took part in the attack on the Kanehoe seaplane base. After suffering damage to his fuel system, he realized that it would be impossible to return to his ship. He then saluted his comrades and then dove his aircraft into the ground. He was a brave man who couldn't contemplate the idea of surrender, but he was not a kamikaze. A stone tablet commemorating the event has been placed near the spot were his aircraft impacted.

15. Takao

Takao Ace

the pilot's name was Fusata Iida, short bio here: Fusata Iida | World War II Database

He had mentioned before taking off, that if his plane was badly damaged, he would dive it into a worthy target.

Also, I don't think it was the idea of surrender that worried him, but probably having a "meaningless death," ie. dying without honorby being lost at sea. By diving into a worthy target, he would give his death meaning.