Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kempeitai, Japan's Dreaded Military Police, by Raymond Lamont-Brown

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by ColHessler, Jul 7, 2016.

1. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

This book is 182 pages long from start to index. This is a good overview of the Japanese military police and its activities. Its criminal actions in Manchuria, such as shakedowns and protection rackets, were only the beginning. They also had charge of Unit 731, with its barbaric human experiments, and were responsible for gathering the "comfort women" from Korea and other places, for their exploitation. We're also shown how so few of these men were punished after the war, and indeed were rehabilitated by the Allies into Japanese police forces in the 1950's.

It's probably not a complete picture, but it's, in my opinion, a good place to start in comprehending this facet of the Pacific War.

I like that they dispel the idea that the Kempeitai were directly analogous to the Gestapo. They didn't, except in Singapore, go out to slaughter in units like the Einsatzgruppen.

Otto likes this.
  2. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

The Allies preferred Fascist-like dictators over Communists in the post-war world, look how many Dictators we supported and far-left governments we ousted. I swear if Hitler didn't act against Poland and the rest of Czechoslovakia, he would have been an Ally as long as he crusaded against Communism.