Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Knights Cross wearers, new signed photos

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by nachtjager61, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

[​IMG]
    Johannes "Mackey" Steinhoff, one of very few Luftwaffe pilots who survived to fly operationally through the whole of the war period 1939-45. He was one of the highest-scoring pilots with 176 victories, and one of the first to fly the Me 262 jet fighter in combat, being a member of the famous aces squadron JV44 led by Adolf Galland.
    He ended the war as a jet pilot, first being posted to Kommando Nowotny in October 1944, and then, as Geschwaderkommodore of Jagdgeschwader 7 in December. JG 7 was equipped with the Me262 jet fighter.

[​IMG]
    Hans Johann Stollnberger, claimed 45 victories in 600 ground attack missions

[​IMG]
    Rupert Frost, Major, Nachtschlacht-Gruppe 9 (night ground attack group)

[​IMG]
    Remi Schrijnen, the only Flemish volunteer in the SS division Flandern to have been awarded the Knights Cross. He originally served as an anti-tank grenadier in the 4th SS volunteer Panzer Grenedier brigade Nederland. In March of 1944 Remy Schrijnen was a member of the PAK Zug of Kampfgruppe Rehmann later KG D' Haese of the 6 SS Sturm Brigade " Langemarck " which consisted of 3 Kompanies of Infanterie as well as the PAK's.
    Schrijnen was a Pak gunner in 3 Kompanie armed with the 75 mm Pak anti-tank gun.

(the following information is compliments of Paul Errass)
    Remy was a Sturmann at Narva ( lance Corporal ) the Sturmbrigade was an independant unit that fought in the positions of the Kinderheim alongside units from the Nordland Division south of the Rollbahn , Nederland held the front North of the Rollbahn together with Rebanes Estonian SS Regiment.

In March 1944 Langemarke was in combat at Jambol in the Ukraine not at Narva and Remy first came to notice as a Richtschutze on the PAK , he earned himself a reputation as a top gunner and developed his famous Kopfstellung at Jambol which he later used again a the Blauenberg in Estonia. Remy was awarded the EKII on 28/5/44 for the fighting in the Ukraine and the EKI on 3/8/44 for the fighting at the Kinderheim together with the Wound badge in gold, as a result of the same fighting he was recomended for the RK which was awarded on 21/9/44. Steiner initially submitted him on 28/8/44 for entry to the Honour Roll of the Army but this was upgraded to the RK. I have a copy of this official recommendation by Felix Steiner.

His award recommendation does not mention JS Tanks but only T34s and KWII 's , Remy himself stated that they were all T 34's and he never claimed to have destroyed any of the bigger tanks. Eventually he was loading and firing the gun himself as all his crew were dead / wounded or he he had sent them back to the German lines , he was eventually blown away from the gun and wounded again himself , his positions were overun by the Soviets who now controlled half of the Grenadier Hohe . A counter attack by the SS Panzer Abt 11 Hermann von Salza commanded by Paul Albert Kausch eventually restored the position and Remy was found by Kausch's crew and taken back to the HVP then to the Korps Feldlazarett at Toila.

The action for the award of the RK was on the 26th/27th /28th July 1944

[​IMG]
    Otto Weidinger, Obersturmbannfuhrer (Lietenant Colonel)commander of SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 4, Das Reich Division

[​IMG]
    Josef Kammhuber, General of the Nightfighters, He is credited with setting up the first truly successful night fighter defense system, the so-called Kammhuber Line

[​IMG]
    Franz Gapp, bomber pilot with KG/6 and he also flew some Me262 missions at war's end

2. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

another new one
    [​IMG]
    Walter Schuck, Served with JG 5 on the Arctic front and JG 7 in North Western Europe, he claimed 206 enemy aircraft shot down in over 500 combat missions plus up to another 30 unconfirmed victories. He claimed eight confirmed victories with the Me 262

sunny971, 107thcav and Kai-Petri like this.
  3. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Don't know where you got the information about Remy Schrynen but it's completely wrong , Remy won the RK in July 1944 for knocking out 12 Soviet tanks during Battles on the Tannenberg line west of Narva.

At that time Remy was a Richtschutze in the Panzerjaeger Zug of Kampfgruppe D'Haese formerly Kampfgruppe Rehmann from the 6 SS Sturmbrigade " Langemarke ".

regards

Paul

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good show on getting a Generals signature. I only have one which is from Otto Kumm, the last KDT of LSSAH. I got it shortly before he passed away and was one of the very last few pics he signed.

5. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

Paul

Remy Schrijnen joined the 'Freiwilligen-Legion Flandern der Waffen-SS' (Voluntary-Legion Flanders of the Waffen-SS) which was later renamed 'SS Freiwiligenbrigade Langemarck' and still later deployed as the '27 SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadierdivision Langemarck.

At the time of his action near Narva,
    Remy Schrijnen was a member of the PAK Zug of Kampfgruppe Rehmann later KG D' Haese of the 6 SS Sturm Brigade " Langemarck " which consisted of 3 Kompanies of Infanterie as well as the PAK's.
    Schrijnen was a Pak gunner in 3 Kompanie armed with the 75 mm Pak anti-tank gun.
    KGr Rehmann was composed of members from the SS-Fr.Sturmbrigade Langemarck, it returned to the Brigade later in September 1944. During the time the KGr was in action at the Narwa front the remaining elements of the Sturmbrigade Langemarck were reorganised and refitted.

(this detailed information, below, about Remi is compliments of Paul Errass)

Remy was a Sturmann at Narva ( lance Corporal ) and Richtschutze which i know isn't a rank, but the Sturmbrigade was an independant unit that fought in the positions of the Kinderheim alongside units from the Nordland Division south of the Rollbahn , Nederland held the front North of the Rollbahn together with Rebanes Estonian SS Regiment.

In March 1944 Langemarke was in combat at Jambol in the Ukraine not at Narva and Remy first came to notice as a Richtschutze on the PAK , he earned himself a reputation as a top gunner and developed his famous Kopfstellung at Jambol which he later used again a the Blauenberg in Estonia. Remy was awarded the EKII on 28/5/44 for the fighting in the Ukraine and the EKI on 3/8/44 for the fighting at the Kinderheim together with the Wound badge in gold, as a result of the same fighting he was recomended for the RK which was awarded on 21/9/44. Steiner initially submitted him on 28/8/44 for entry to the Honour Roll of the Army but this was upgraded to the RK. I have a copy of this official recommendation by Felix Steiner.

His award recommendation does not mention JS Tanks but only T34s and KWII 's , Remy himself stated that they were all T 34's and he never claimed to have destroyed any of the bigger tanks. Eventually he was loading and firing the gun himself as all his crew were dead / wounded or he he had sent them back to the German lines , he was eventually blown away from the gun and wounded again himself , his positions were overun by the Soviets who now controlled half of the Grenadier Hohe . A counter attack by the SS Panzer Abt 11 Hermann von Salza commanded by Paul Albert Kausch eventually restored the position and Remy was found by Kausch's crew and taken back to the HVP then to the Korps Feldlazarett at Toila.

The action for the award of the RK was on the 26th/27th /28th July 1944

thank you Paul

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Again, thank you for ignoring my reply of sorts to you.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Lacy, Schucks jet kills are not all confirmed especially the Mustang downings. the JG 7 total is now bogus as more new research develops, there may be as many as 200 kills instead of the recorded as once thought 400-450.

without doubt Schuck was an excellent pilot .........

8. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

C. Evans

I am sorry I did not mean to ignore your reply, I have been posting some more of my new acquisitions and looking up their biographies

I always appreciate your imput and compliments on my photo collection. I tend to work on this site while (at work) so I try to limit my actions and time on here as much as possible

Congrats on your Kumm signature

Once again I do appologize for ignoring your comment and I will make sure in the future that I address those who are kind enough to take time out of their day to comment on my collection

regards

9. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

Paul

I understand that you are very knowledgable on the Narva battles and about Remi and I don't dispute your comments I am just trying to post a brief bio for those who may not know anything about any of the soldiers in my photo collection

I always appreciate any help or comments that will aid me in giving an accurate account of the soldier in question so please let me know when anything is not accurate.

If you have anything to add to any of my bios please feel free to let me know so I can update the post to be as accurate as possible

regards

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

thanks and no probs, i was just trying to get a thing started on Generals. Heh heh, Kai has me beat in that dept by a long shot ;-0)

Anyway, congrats on your newest. Im now beginning to wish i had not sold, given ortraded most of mine off a few years ago. I do still have a few important sigs-like one from a NAshhorn CDR-and there are only two of his signatures here in the USA-someone elses and mine ;-0)

11. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

C. Evans

were you able to pick up the Glazer photo we talked about a while back?

I have seen a few of them around recently

I know what you mean about letting things go, my situation is reverse of yours, I used to collect german memorabilia and sold it all 20 years ago and then picked up collection signed photos a few years ago when I came upon a great source for them.

regards

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great pictures again, especially the Remi one!

13. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Nachtjager I have seen these wrong facts quoted before somewhere, what was your source of them as i can't remember ? Whoever prepared the facts you have quoted from got in wrong in many areas as did the official Wehrmacht report that you quote !!

Remy was a Sturmann at Narva ( lance Corporal ) and Richtschutze which i know isn't a rank, but the Sturmbrigade was an independant unit that fought in the positions of the Kinderheim alongside units from the Nordland Division south of the Rollbahn , Nederland held the front North of the Rollbahn together with Rebanes Estonian SS Regiment.

The action for the award of the RK was on the 26th/27th /28th July 1944 but unfortunatley this misinformation has been put about that it was March 1944.

Please don't think that my corrections here are any criticism of you as they are not , as a historian who has a particular interest in these battles and the Ritterkreuz won at Narva it greives me when i see the wrong information but that is not a fault of yours in this case but that of the source of your information whose identity escapes me.

best regards

Paul

PS Like you i am a collector of RK signed photos / documents etc and have a large number thanks to Carl Evans who set me on my way many years ago so it is very enjoyable for me to see your photos and posts.

14. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Signed photo of the last Waffen SS General SS Brigadefuhrer Otto Kumm.

This photo is taken from a pamphlet given to guests at the Der Fuhrer Regiment annual veterans reunion whci i was lucky enough to attend before the association was dissolved.

Attached Files:

15. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

Paul

thanks for the correct information on Remi, I hope you do not mind if I post it with my photo, If you have any more information on him that you think would be important for the readers please post it and I will add it to the photo as well

I do have Otto Carius's book which describes a lot of the Action at the Narva bridgehead and the kinderheim but it does not mention much about Remi if any thing at all.

thank you for the information
    regards

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Gentleman does someone know where could I buy a signed picture of Remy? I'd love to have one in my collection

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Skip

PM coming your way

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Roger Erich

19. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 which was the unit of Otto Carius was at Narva in late Feb March / April 1944 and they were withdrawn from the Narva Front after the reduction of the Ostsack in the Auwere Bridgehead as part of Panzergruppe Strachwitz. At this time Remy and Langemarke were in the Ukraine so they didn't fight at Narva at the same time.

Contrary to other misinformation around on the internet there were no Tigers at Narva during the Summer fighting at the Blauenberg / Kinderheimhohe. Carius was awarded the RK for the Narva fighting of spring 1944 as was Albert Kerscher another Tiger commander from 502.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 was commanded at Narva by Ritterkreuztrager Major Willy Jahde.

regards

Paul

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi N/ I hadnt been able to buy any of him yet but do want at least one. Ive been spending most available money lately on my cat because she had an infection which imm HOPING is finally cured.

I still get TR stuff from time-to-time but not near as much as i would like. I think the last TR badges I actually got-i got about a year ago from two gents selling their infantry Assault badges. I bought all 6 that were offered.

Im thinking of getting out of Imperial collecting and thinking of selling all that stuff off. Im keeping the TR stuff though ;-))

I dont have time to get into it today but was going to ask you something a bit personal in colecting tastes. Ill try to remember to do to Sun.

Take care-c.