Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Knight's Cross

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Bob Wirtz, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Bob Wirtz

Bob Wirtz Member

This is the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. This one is pretty unique in that the frame and ring (where it hangs on the ribbon) are made by C. E. Juncker in Berlin and the core is made by Otto Schickle. This particular Knight's Cross was awarded to Oakleaves recipient Korvettenkapitan Klaus Feldt in Motor Torpedo Boats (E-Boats). He was one of eight recipients of the E-Boat Badge in Diamonds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I must say that looks magnificent....

OK, I have a really dumb question which I'd blush to ask on a real Militaria forum, but....

What are the visible differences between the Iron Cross 2nd Class, 1st Class and Knight's Cross ? :confused:

There - a question I've always wanted to ask and now it's out in the open ! ;)

3. Bob Wirtz

Bob Wirtz Member

Iron Cross 2nd Class is finished on both sides with the year 1813 on the bottom spar on the back and a year of activation (1813, 1870, 1914, 1939) on the front. It has a small loop on the top, which is perpendicular to the cross itself. Through this loop is a ring for the ribbon. The EK2 ribbon was worn through the 2nd buttonhole of the tunic, or on the ribbon bar. The medal was worn on a medal bar for special or dress occasions.

Iron Cross 1st Class is the same size as the EK2 but is unfinished on the back with a pin to attach it to the thread loops sewn on the uniform pocket for wear.

The Knight's Cross is the top award and looks like the EK2 but is slightly larger. It has a small loop on the top that holds the ribbon ring, which is much different than the ring for the EK2 ribbon. The RK is worn around the neck.

Bob

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thank you, Bob ! [​IMG]

I do have a 2nd Class and have no aspirations ( or budget.. :( ) to add the others, but it's nice to know this information.

5. Bob Wirtz

Bob Wirtz Member

Martin,

Here is the EK2 front (sorry the scan doesn't afford much detail on the black core):

[​IMG]

The EK1 front:

[​IMG]

And the two of them side-by-side from the back. The EK1 has the unfinished back and a pin. You'll also notice they are the same size, whereas the Knight's Cross is larger.

[​IMG]