Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Korean war and Sherman vs T-34/85

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Kai-Petri, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I have seen some figures which either backed the T-34 or the Sherman in the battle in Korea. Anyone got some detailed figures and battle places?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anything?

3. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Some Korean War Sherman vs. T-34 stats noted here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/korea/korea.htm

Scroll to the very bottom of the list (because it's quite large) and then start going back up until you find "U.S. Armor in the Antitank Role, 1950..." Click and you'll find some de-classified material there...

I know it's not what you want, but I was just wondering if the Germans had any data from captured Shermans pitted against T34's on the Eastern Front...?

4. lwd

lwd Ace

I doubt any captured Shermans would have seen operations on the Eastern front. For one thing how many did the Germans capture that were operational? The one I know about either went to organizations that evaluated allied equipment or were used as turret less recovery vehicles. When you are defending it's hard to recover a lot of tanks from your opponent so the Bulge would be the only time that they would likely have captured any significant number at one time unless a unit of Soviet Shermans got isolated and captured.

5. Joe

Joe Ace

It's more easy then you think to capture tanks intact. The Germans captured many tanks in the conquest of France, and many Matildas saw service in the Afrika Korps.

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

7. lwd

lwd Ace

It's easy if you are on the offensive. It's not so easy when you are on the defensive.

Von Poop's post does show that they were used on the Eastern front but the caption on the picture mentions it was a lend-lease M4. So probably captured on the Eastern front and used there. Would be interesting to hear what the Germans who manned them thought of them. I can see ammo supplies and spare parts being a real problem.

8. Joe

Joe Ace

Well I look at it this way. Suppose during an attack by some say, Lend-Lease M4s, they break through German lines and thus get immobilized or damaged and are reparable, and fall into German hands.

<Preparing myself for the backlash>

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I hadn't imagined that anyone would see any other scenario. And what's this about captured vehicles only going to evaluation establishments or being used as turretless ARVs?
    Shermans and practically every other tank will be captured by the enemy and turned against their former owners within a short time of their battlefield debut, never an ideal situation for many reasons but a common one when expedience called.

Lost, captured, recaptured.
    [​IMG]

Polish Mk.IIIs
    [​IMG]

Panzerjager Bren(e)
    [​IMG]

Mk.VI in unnacustomed colours
    [​IMG]

Cuckoo in use by the Guards
    [​IMG]

Etc. etc. etc.

I could do pages of these things but as this has absolutely nothing to do with Kai's query about the Korean war... I'll stop. ;)

Been digging on the Korean T34/M4 encounters but my books don't really cover the conflict and it's nowhere near as well served on the internerd as WW2 is it.

Cheers,
    Adam.

10. Joe

Joe Ace

Maybe you should start a thread on captured tanks. It's an interesting topic.

11. lwd

lwd Ace

For some reason I forgot about the Soviets using them at first so was thinking of captured tanks from the West being shipped East (hey ... I've been on a short sleep ration recently). Unless you capture a lot of something (like 76mm Soviet guns) actually incorporating them into your force structure is a pain. Parts and ammo are going to be a problem for instance. So yes a captured tank may be used as an expedient for a day or two but I would hardly expect to see much in the way of reports on it. I have seen reports on Shermans in Italy being used as turret less recovery vehicles and their appearance in research institutions.

(In case you didn't get it that was my long winded way of saying I was wrong)

As for the Korean war one of the problems is that often you see a listing of tank losses on either side and it's not clear who was killing who. Over on another fourm (tank net?) I once saw a pretty good breakdown. The Sherman was doing better than even on it's excahnges with T-34 but the Pershing was the one that made the exchanges look really lop sided.

12. xenogears1978

xenogears1978 recruit

http://img.cjdby.com/attachments_cd/month_1101/11012616122425059ec5bf90cc.jpg.thumb.jpg

UNTIL 51.JAN,239 north machines(t-34 and su-76)are destroyed/abandoned.

during the war,there are 119 tank-totank fights,m4 took part in 59(50%),M26 38(32%),M46 12(10%),97 confirmed kill of t-34s and 18 claim by us tanks.of all 97,m26 claim 39%,m46 claim 12%.us lost 34 but only 15 irrecoverable.

------------OSPREY PERSHING,very beginner material.