Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Korvettenkapitan Reinhard Hardegan, Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Jun 16, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Obit on the last surviving U-Boat captain, translated from German.
    "The Bremen citizenship mourns the loss of former MP Reinhard Hardegen, who passed away last Saturday (9 June) at the age of 105. Hardegen was from 1959 to 1979 Member of Parliament for the CDU, whose first members he belonged to after the Second World War. In his time as a deputy, he mainly fought for Bremen's economic interests, so he campaigned as a member of the port deputation for the expansion of the quay in Bremerhaven.
    "With Reinhard Hardegen, this house also loses a piece of its past," said Mayor Christian Weber today. "Until his old age, he remained connected to the Parliament and insisted on following the invitation to the New Year's Reception every year, and he was still present, along with the time he had helped shape in these areas. "
    From 1959 to 1979 Reinhard Hardegen was a member of the CDU parliamentary group with a brief interruption. In the 7th legislature, from 1967 to 1971, he was also a secretary of the board of citizenship.
    The preferred field of activity of Reinhard Hardegen was the Deputation for Ports, Shipping and Traffic: Even before his time as a deputy, in November 1952, he was elected to this body, whose deputy chairman he should be long years. Only with the end of the 10th legislature in the summer of 1983, he retired from the deputation - his more than 30 years of uninterrupted affiliation are an unprecedented record to this day.
    "Reinhard Hardegen has always put his life at the service of the public", continues Christian Weber. "He has always been very open with his biography and has never concealed what he experienced as a submarine captain in World War II."
    Bremische Bürgerschaft: Bürgerschaft trauert um Reinhard Hardegen

JJWilson likes this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Sad news.............I always wanted to meet a U-boat captain.............

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

R.i.p. Reinhard. Just a while ago I got a HJ book of autographs with one of yours.

4. harolds

harolds Member

Wow! I thought he'd died long ago. My impression of him from Gannon's OPERATION DRUMBEAT was that while very aggressive, to the point of recklessness, he was a damn fine sub skipper and a good person at heart.

5. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

GRW likes this.
  6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor