Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

KV-2

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Joe, Jun 6, 2007.

1. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Another shot with the cupola.....and this time with German markings.

[​IMG]

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sounds reasonable.
    However, since I do not see myself as being anymore than moderately knowledgeable regarding Soviet armor, I will defer to those who are more versed in the minutiae of our then Allies.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Looks like the very same vehicle as in post #6 doesn't it?

An inappropriate German cupola is naturally nearly always a good indication of it's new owners, with one rather unusual exception that I can think of; some Churchills of the North Irish Horse were fitted with captured cupolas, as described in Gerry Chester's genuinely excellent website:
    North Irish Horse, Cupola reference.

4. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Never knew cupolas where very important in indicating the tank's side D:

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The thing is that this is a clearly german cupola on a Russian tank, indicating a captured vehicle.

The commander's cupola is one of the things that made german tanks so much more effective. It allowed the commander a 360 view around the vehicle while offering protection from small arms fire and shrapnel. Some cupola designs contained optics to increase visual range. Early in Operation Barbarossa, the lack of the cupola (along with the lack of tank to tank radios) was a major hinderance to Russian tank effectiveness. The cupola was so important to germans AFV commanders that they would install them into any captured vehicle.

6. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

[​IMG]
    Models are always fun to look at and I would guess that this is a copy of an actual vehicle. But, the question I have from looking at this is why would the German's had felt a need to retain the hull and rear turret mounted machine guns, which are quite redundant for an artillery support vehicle, with the spare ammunition tubes being carried on the rear of the vehicle. Surely, if there was a chance that it might get caught in the middle of an infantry ambush, where having the vehicle swamped by enemy combatants, they would have not carried such supplies on the vehicle exterior. Also, if you look at my previous pick (as I just noticed) you can see the same rack of tubes on the vehicle rear.

7. CBRent

CBRent Member

The original poster's photo is of the 1939 model of the KV-2. As far as I know it was only a prototype. The turret was different (obviously) and the external fuel cells were different as well.

Yes, the Germans did capture a few of these (as well as anything else the Russkies made) and used them in service. There are photos of one even being used in the defense of Berlin. The other pics posted here are of a retrofitted KV-2 that was used in North Africa. The idea being it would be safer to use it there than back on the Ostfront where it could easily be the victim of friendly fire. (Most gunners fire on a target based on its silouette.)

One KV-2 did halt an entire Panzer division for a day, or so. It couldn't be knocked out. Eventually infantry mined it, or were able to get grenades inside the turret. I forget the exact tale.

Lastly, the reason the turret couldn't rotate when the tank was inclined was becaue it was manually operated. The poor crew just couldn't crank the turret.

This is all from memory, and has not been checked for accuracy. I'm sure more, better, info can be found on the web.

Later!

8. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

9. CBRent

CBRent Member

I'll take a hip shot here. I don't think the story is all that interesting. As the Germans fell back they were desperate for weapons to defend themselves with. I expect they used whatever useful Russian weapons fell into their hands.

I've been reading a biography of Jochen Peiper. There is mention of using Russian anti-tank rifles. So, we know the Germans were scrounging for material as the retreated.

It would be interesting to find KV's, T-34's etc listed as on strength in German lists.

10. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Well, the site says that German sources state around 50 KV's in German service and their being used in certain Panzer Divisions on the Eastern Front. Until I saw something closer to a primary sourse on the issue I'd remain open to the possibility before closing all possibilities to what I'd read in a book about the young Peiper.

11. CBRent

CBRent Member

I am not dismissing any possibilities. I agree with you.

Although I think the then 28 year old Peiper was older than any of us will ever be. At least let us hope so!

:)

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Careful with that "around 50" figure, I noted it when referencing the Beutepanzers site initially and as it just refers to 'KV' it appears to include both KV1 & KV2.
    There's plenty of OoB's out there with listings of beutepanzers serving with German units, got a feeling that Jentz's second volume of 'Panzertruppen' has some listings, I'll check. I'd recommend the Schiffer series on vehicles 'Under the German Flag' too, kind of flimsy but some excellent photographs.
    (I presume nobody needs to see that film of a T34 in German colours being fairly recently dragged from a Russian swamp again?)

Cheers,
    Adam.

13. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Yeah, I think the site I referenced says 50+/- KV 1 and KV 2.

I haven't seen this film. Is this the show on The History Channel? where they fix up an old rusted WWII tank (can't remember the name of it)? I did see the one where they found the Panther under an ice flow in a river somewhere in Poland? maybe???

14. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Different one to 'Tank Overhaul' mate:

Main site (looks like the restoration is going well):
    http://www.diving.ee/articles/art035.html

Videos (with apologies to those that have seen them... I still think they're marvellous):
    http://www.diving.ee/video.php?f=T34-1.mpg
    http://www.diving.ee/video.php?f=T34-2.mpg
    http://www.diving.ee/video.php?f=T34-3.mpg
    http://www.diving.ee/video.php?f=t34.AVI

I'm sure this has been mentioned before too but there has also been a lake recovered KV1 restored to running order in Russia recently:
    http://www.trizna.ru/kv1/photo.htm
    http://www.opensea.ru/articles/travel/kv2003/
    (There's a video of it running out there too, can't find it now.)
    Amazing work for a relic of the Nevskij bridgehead.

Cheers,
    Adam.

15. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Thanks for the heads up! I just can't fathom how that thing remained in such fine condition after ? years. Is it that the water is just that fresh and cold? They really look like they were just ran in and then back out of the water. The fifth video down shows them running an engine. Presumably the T-34 once they got it fixed up back in the shop?.?.?.?.?

16. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Is that a T-34/41? (or w.e the name was given)

17. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Nice find Von!

As the article is in Russian, here is the translation.

This was a KV-1 which was sunk while crossing the Neva on its way to reinforce the " Невский Пятачок" or " Nevsky Pyatachok ". During the siege of Leningrad this was a small area of about 50 acres completetly surrounded by the Germans. The tank was on 4 wooden rafts trying to cross when hit by enemy artillery. The rafts broke apart and the KV-1 sank ( parts of which were found with the tank).

Here are some sites with some pictures of the area and history.....

http://www.nortfort.ru/np/foto1.html

http://www.oblmuseums.spb.ru/eng/museums/16/guide.html#ancContents

18. Joe

Joe Ace

A sclicing of more info-

No. Produced : 334
    Length :6.8 meters
    Height :3.3 meters
    Width :3.25
    Weight :52000Kg

Compared to T34/76 model 1942
    Length :6.75 meters
    Height :2.45 meters
    Width :3 meters
    Weight :30000Kg

So it was a rather big tank!
    Heres a picture for you to print off and colour in. :D

[​IMG]

19. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

And I must say, quite an ugly tank.

20. Joe

Joe Ace

Ugly or Pretty, I wouldn't like to see it crawl towards my pillbox!

:tiger::explosion2: ___________________________________ :explosion1: :i_surrender:

(there's no KV2 Smilie, so A Tiger will have to do.:D)