Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lance Corpral Maurer - RKT

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by TheRedBaron, Jun 27, 2003.

1. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

This is a description of the action in which he won the Knights Cross as a Lance Corporal, taken from Panzer Commander...

During one of our disengaging movements I had placed my HQ Company on high ground to cover the withdrawl of my combat group long enough to enable us to reach our next position. Without the support of artillery or anti-tank weapons, but depending only on their heavy machine guns, Lt. Sommer, from his commanding position, had forced the enemy to take cover again and again and had thereby procured us the necessary time to set up a new defense.

Maurer, with his machine-gun and an ammunition bearer, had been engaged on the left wing of his company, to secure its left flank. His task: to hold up the enemy and only withdraw in the event of heavy pressure. In looking for a suitable spot Maurer had strayed too far left and virtually lost toucg with his company. But he had found an ideal position on a commanding hill and he knew what to do.

Suddenly he saw below him an enemy column marching South. "They're planning to go around us and attack in the flank" was his first thought. The enemy had apparantly assumed there was no-one left on the hills, for vehicle by vehicle the column moved past him below.

When the column had come close enough, Maurer opened fire on the column, which at once stopped. The men jumped out of their vehicles and took cover. Maurer saw the wounded collapse. With the help of the ammunition bearer he fired one belt after the other from his MG. The first trucks caught fire; the confusion was complete. Then came the first reactions: anti-tank guns and light artillery were brought into position and opened fire.

Maurer laughed. "There's no way they can hit us from that angle; come on, let's have the next belt".

The shots did in fact whistle over his head. The enemy then formed up for an attack on the hill.

"You've just had the last belt of cartridges, pal. We've got to get out of here," shouted the ammunition bearer. "Come on, back to the company."

But Lt. Sommer had already moved off and from the start had not noticed Maurer's absence.

The two set off on foot, they could still hear the enemy's guns and shouts of the attacking infantry.

This was during the defensive fighting at Epinal, Luneville and Chatel and Maurer was captured in November.He was from Von Luck's HQ Company in 21st Panzer. Can anybody else add to this as it was quite unusual for a Lance Corporal to be a RKT winner.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Obergefreiter Heinrich Maurer,

RKT 10/6/44 [​IMG] [​IMG]

Stabskompanie Panzer Gren Regt 125, 21 Panzer Division.

Paul [​IMG]

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good story and thank you for it. [​IMG]

And Paul--I just got in Fellgiebels [​IMG] book today--i'm more than satisfied--im ecstatic. I'll be burnin the midnight oil tonight :cool:

Now maybe I can help you out a bit? [​IMG]

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Thanks for filling in the gaps Paul. Any chance there is a record of his previous service? [​IMG]

5. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Glad to be of help Baron,unfortunately thats all i've got on him,hopefully Carl may have more details in Fellgiebels book.

Carl is it the German version yuo have got ? If so where did you get it ?

Paul [​IMG]