Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
?

Anyone ever seen this pin before? My father was in the 92nd signal corps

Poll closed Mar 28, 2018.
  1. signal corps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 15th corps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Glen Liner

Glen Liner New Member

2. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Post the distinctive unit insignia on the U.S. Militaria forum. Rich A. in Pa.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Did some quick looking but couldn't find it. I think Rich's suggestion is a good one.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If you are certain he was with the 92 Signal Battalion (as opposed to the 92nd Signal Co.), and if he was with that unit at the end of the war, then there is a high probability that he participated in the liberation of Dachau. Did he ever mention this?

At that point in the war, the 92nd Signal Battalion was providing communications either for the US 3rd Army or US XV Corps. I'm leaning towards XV Corps if they were forward enough to be able to claim the liberation of Dachau.

There is come contention among various units as to who actually entered the camp first, with the 42nd Infantry Division making most noise about it.

Was he in France/Germany or Italy?

5. Slipdigit

6. Slipdigit

Also, was he a replacement? The 92nd Signal Batt was credited with 5 campaigns. In your other thread, you show his EAME Campaign Ribbon with 4 Bronze campaign stars (not to be confused with the Bronze Star Medal).

It is possible that if he wore this home, the authorization for a star the Central Europe Campaign (the 5th star) had not been authorized yet.

7. Glen Liner

Glen Liner New Member

He landed at Normandy on June 12, 1944. He with the 92 signal battalion and had the 15th corps patch on his uniform. He wrote a letter to his mom and described the horror of Dachau and it was published in the hometown news paper in Ruston, Louisiana. I have that article. He like many others did not talk about it when he got home.

Slipdigit likes this.