Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Larry Storch

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Jul 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"LOS ANGELES — World War II Navy veteran Larry Storch, the rubber-faced comic whose long career in theater, movies and television was capped by his “F Troop” role as zany Cpl. Agarn in the 1960s spoof of Western frontier TV shows, died Friday. He was 99.
    Storch died of natural causes early Friday in his New York City apartment, according to his manager, Matt Beckoff.
    Although “F Troop” lasted only two seasons on ABC, from 1965 to 1967, it became a cult favorite in reruns. Its devoted fans could recite almost all of the adventures of the incredibly incompetent soldiers of Fort Courage and the members of the nearby Native American tribe who only pretended to be at war with them.
    Storch said in a 1998 interview that he was surprised to be considered for an Army comedy such as “F Troop,” with it being well known that he served in the Navy during World War II. “All I knew about horses was that they give milk and can bite from both ends,” he quipped.
    Storch served on the submarine tender Proteus during the war along with a radio operator named Bernie Schwartz, according to his Facebook page. They were on the Proteus in Tokyo Bay Sept. 2, 1945, and witnessed Japan’s formal surrender onboard the nearby battleship Missouri."
    www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/07/08/navy-wwii-vet-larry-storch-who-found-fame-playing-a-soldier-on-tv-dies-at-99/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_militarytimesonline&fbclid=IwAR0UsZp3yu1FApAq7dByGtm13KIvcfcYVDWbHlcPYrAHPcxU928xEmxPhq0

2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

"Agarn, I don't know why everyone says you're dumb!"
    (next scene)
    "Who says I'm dumb?"