Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Late Grandads Service questions

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by efiste2, Mar 21, 2015.

1. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

HI all, new to the forum, Im hoping you expert folks can assist me with answering many questions on my late Grandads service in WW2.

He was in the Irish Guards and landed in Normandy on D+1, he then headed for Caen and was wounded in a battle for a Bridge. He was then airlifted home to hospital....

Going through hes personal items this week has uncovered what I call "gems" such as his discharge papers and letters to my Grandmother. also letters from his brother who was fighting on another front,

My first question is, The letter to my Grandmother states "Wounded on the 3rd Instant in North West Europe".....What is meant by the 3rd Instant ?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I believe the "3rd Instant" refers to the 3rd of the current month. Check when the letter was written. If you could post a picture of the separation paper, it would help.

3. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Thanks for your assistance, Here is the letter that my Grandmother recieved[​IMG]

4. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

My first thought was Joe's Bridge but that wasn't until September 1944. The first two things you should try and identify are his date of joining the IG and what battalion of the IG he was in. It will either be the 2nd or 3rd Battalion.

3 IG didn't start arriving in Normandy until the 24th June and I'd suspect the 2nd IG would be very similiar due to them both being part of the Guards Armoured Division.

5. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Im Sure he always said he was in the 1st Battalion, and he landed on D+1 with the Canadians I recall, Im afraid I have no document that states which battalion although I do have his service number. How will I find out which battalion he was in.....Do I have to applpy for his service record ?

His SOLDIERS SERVICE RECORD & PAY BOOK is a Duplicate issued in August 44, it says "LOST B.L.A" what does that mean, and also it states NSACT for the duration of the Emergency, what does NSACT mean.

[​IMG]

6. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

1st battalion never went to France in 1944. They were in Italy until April and after suffering such heavy losses they returned to the UK and became a training battalion.

I would apply for a copy of his service records from Wellington Barracks, the Guards HQ for a cost of £30 - These will tell you all of his units and when he was with them.