Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lee-Enfield Mark 4 No. 1

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by midwestboy75, Sep 24, 2008.

1. midwestboy75

midwestboy75 recruit

Greetings! I know that the Lee-Enfield Mark 4 No. 1 was the primary rifle used by the British, Canadians, and other Commonwealth troops during the Second World War. I am considering purchasing one and was curious to know when this rifle was ceased to be produced. I'm trying to purchase one manufactured during the war years, and if it indeed production otf the Mark 4 No. 1 continued after the war, I am trying to avoid purchasing one produced after the war. Any ideas out there! Thank you much!

Scott

2. mikegb

mikegb Member

Most of them were produced during the war but because of the cancelation by the post war labour government of the bull pup design intended to replace itstayed in service and limited production till replaced by the SLR\FN in the fifties. Some were made in India as well apparently the rifling on some of the Canadian models was lower grade than the British production of the mark 4. I've been told the old first world war SMLE Enfields were even better but not as easily mass produced though I've not had the opportunity to examine them but several of my eldrly relatives were weapon instructors when it was in service.

The British government sold them off dirt cheap in the sixties for sale as hunting weapons to an arms dealer the name escapes me Im sorry he than broke the batch down for commercial sale largely in the US and Canada.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The #4 Mk 1 was produced in India until the late 1950s. A #4 Mk2 version was introduced for UK manufacture in 1949 and remained in production until the mid-1950s. Even then, many older weapons were upgraded/re-manufactured after that time.

I'd strongly recommend that you try to get hold of a copy of Ian Skennerton's self-published book, 'The Lee-Enfield Story' ( Ian Skennerton, Australia,1993, ISBN 1 85367 138 X ) which was distributed in the UK and USA by Greenhill Books. It's a truly monumental piece of research which gives a fantastic amount of information.

4. midwestboy75

midwestboy75 recruit

Thank you both for the information! Truly appreciated!

5. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

I have no idea of the details but I do know that Australia sold off its stocks (many 1000s) of Lee-Enfields to an American firm after we converted to the SLR.

I believe they got US$20 each, so I have no idea what the retail price would be now. I am sure any large US gun-shop would have an idea where to get one.

John.

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I would recommend against a #4. Instead I would suggest a #3 that was manufactured pre-war or during WW 1. The #4 is, quite frankly, a poor rifle. Its tolerances were not held tight, it often has poor accuracy and the fit and finish is often inferior. You would be better off for the money.

7. allias1995

allias1995 recruit

unfortunatly, production ceased around the 1930s, does anyone have a pic of a kar98k they could show me

8. Jerome

Jerome Member

Try surplusrifleforum.com they have threads there on purchasing etc on Mk4's

9. marc780

marc780 Member

I forgot the British kept making them until replaced by the FN FAL...they were used by British forces in Korean war then. What must it have been like to face a Chinese human wave attack with a little old bolt action rifle...i cant imagine!

10. UPRRSLO

UPRRSLO recruit

I too considered a purchase of one of these fine rifles around 1993 when I heard that the Australia Gov't sold off their stock of new rifles. Now I wish I had!!

11. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

No. 4's produced during WWII may have had a rough exterior finish but I think it's a stretch to call them poor rifles. My Savage produced No. 4 Mk 1* was only slightly rougher than my 1955 produced H & R M1 Garand. The post WWII No. 4's had a much nicer finish & some of these rifles got into the surplus market unissued in their arsenal wrapping & are very finely finished rifles. I can see not wanting a post WWII rifle if a person is interested in historical significance but other than that the later rifles are nothing to shy away from either for shooting or collecting.
    The No. 4's had better sights & a heavier barrel than the previous No.1's & the over all design was better suited to mass production than the No. 1's.
    The No. 3 you recommend is better known as the Pattern 14 & production ended at the end of WWI. It is a totally different design than the SMLE (No. 1), the No. 4 or the No.5.

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I agree, and not just because I'm British. The earlier Enfields are 'nicer' ( the No 4 was, after all, designed for mass production ) and some elite units such as the Commandos insisted on holding on to their older rifles during WW2. However, what is certain is that many very early-production Mk4s were of poor quality and suffered many production faults which is what has led to a poor reputation persisting in some quarters. Most authorities agree that by 1943 most of these faults faults had been rectified and consistency of production had been achieved.

A good example of what the No4 could be capable of was the fighting at Arnhem : the British paratroopers were all issued with Mk. 4s and excellent accuracy was reported.