Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Leibstandarte at Kamenets-Podolsk

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by Jon, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Jon

Jon Member

I am wondering about a few officers of the Leibstandarte and if they were with the Leibstandarte in the Kamenets-Podolsk Pocket. I know Kurt Meyer and Max Wunsche were transfered to the Hitlerjugend Division but was Michael Wittman still with 13./1SS Panzer Regiment? Were Heinz Kling and Helmut Wendorf still with the 13th company as well? (actually I think it was actually the 1st and 2d companies of the still forming 101st sSSPzAbt attached to the Leibstandarte, wasn't it??).
    I know, at least I think I know, Jochen Peiper was in command of the Panzer Regimet but who was in command of the 1st and 2nd Panzer Battalions?
    Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions, sorry for so many questions but, all of these came to me while I was typing!
    Jon Fitzgerald
    Calgary,AB,Canada

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Jon and welcome aboard.

I dont have any of my good research books available until I get to my new apartment or I would try to help answer these.

I do suggets asking Timo of these forums, as he will be working on a project devoted to LSSAH, and the men you just asked about. Timo tells me he has much info on the LSSAH--and or at least the Knights Cross Recipients. Give him a note and see what he can tell you. [​IMG]

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Until Timo can respond with more wonderful information......

For 13th kompanie officially disbanded on March 1, 44.
    Wittmann is awarded the Eichenlaub # 380, and promoted to Obersturmführer on January 30, 44. Since the 7th of January and in 22 days, Wittmann has knocked out 61 tanks for a total of 117. Wendorff is promoted to Obersturmführer.
    February 1, 44 Wittmann is oreder to the Führerhauptquartier for the award of the Eichenlaub, Wendorff takes command of the company.
    Obersturmführer is awarded the Ritterkreuz on February 12, 44.
    On February 23, 44 Kling is awarded the Ritterkreuz......

hope this helps a little

E

4. Jon

Jon Member

Thanks for the help guys!
    Jon

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

to continue......the Feb. 12, 44 award winner was Wendorff.

On March 20,44 13th kompanie return from the Eastern front with 1st Komp. under Hauptsturmführer Möbius, and the 2nd komp. Obersturmführer Wittmann. The existing 3rd komp. transfers its fourth platoon to the 1st komp. ( as it's 3rd platoon).
    April 20, 44 18 of 20 Tigers operational. Later the addition to make 25 Tigers.
    On April 22, 44 the last remnants of the 13th Panzerkompanie return from Russia.
    April 30, 44 38 of 45 Tigers operational...

E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Wish I could have done something with what I have but, it will be a few weeks before I can dream of seeing my books again :(

7. Jon

Jon Member

Thanks again guys!
    C.Evans, good luck in your new apartment! Hey wanna hear something weird...I work at a place called Evans here in Calgary!
    Erich Brown, thanks for the information! I have a question: did Wendorff command the parts of the 13th company that stayed in Russia?
    Thanks again guys!
    Jon Fitzgerald
    Calgary,AB,Canada

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

OH, maybe some of my relatives own that company?? heh heh, maybe I can get a job there :D

Seriously though, when I have access to my stuff again, I can post some intelligent postings here.

And many thanks for the good wishes ;)

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Jon :

I will check my files but I did think that all of 13th kompanie returned to the Reich to add to the new 101 SS Schwere Abteilung

E

10. Jon

Jon Member

Hey guys!!
    C.Evans: Yeah maybe you could get a job at Evans!
    Erich Brown: Thanks Erich, I'm just wondering if Wendorff was at Kamenets-Podolsk.
    Also, would anyone know who was in command of the 1stSS Panzer Regiment at Kamenets-Podolsk, was it Peiper? Who was in command of the I and II SS Panzer Abteilung? Was Poetschke there? Sorry for so many questions, I got a hold of Timo on another forum but he isn't responding...must be busy with something! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks again guys!!
    Jon Fitzgerald
    Calgary,AB,Canada

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey there Jon. I think Timo is busy working on his Biographies for me of all the LSSAH Knights Cross Recipients for the "new addition" to this forum soon to be here--possibly within 2 weeks? I have all my KC photo collection copied and ready to send to otto so he can create the section on them. Also, if interested, im also going to be working on another project involving all Medal of Honor Recipients in ww2.

Also, if your taiking about the feldgrau forum, theres at least 3 Timos on it--I know our Timo and another Timo whos from Switzerland. If its Timo from Switzerland--he is as slow as frozen molasses in winter in replying. :(

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Jon :

Still looking for info on 1st SS Pz. Div........I've got a bit of materials on the SS Pz. Kompanies and heavy battlaions but not too much on the 1st. Quite a bit on the 2nd though.

the search continues........

E

13. Jon

Jon Member

Thanks guys!

C.Evans: Is the Timo you know the one from Amsterdam, Holland? If so, that is the same Timo I know from the Feldgrau Forum! Small world, eh?!!

Erich Brown: I patiently await your information! Thanks again for looking it up for me, I really appreciate it!!

Jon Fitzgerald
    Calgary,AB,Canada

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

John :

Yes in a brief sentance......Wendorff was at the Kamenets-Podolsk area and scored 8 Russian tanks to his credit.
    My carperal tunnel is killing me tonight in both hands :mad: :mad: well it could be worse though......

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Jon: I know 3 Timos. Timo from Switzerland, one from Belgium and one from Holland (forgive me Timo if I forget the correct country) ;) ive had a loooooong day at work. [​IMG]

16. Jon

Jon Member

Hey guys!!

Erich: Thanks Erich! Cool, Wendorff is one of those underrated guys! Ouch! Sorry about the hands! :(

C.Evans: I know the one from Holland. Is he the one helping you with your project? Hey! What are you doing working on a Sunday?
    :eek:

Take care guys!! ;) [​IMG]
    Jon Fitzgerald
    Calgary,AB,Canada

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Jon :

If I may suggst this site on the Leibstandarte Tigers, and hopefully you haven't visited it yet.
    http://www.leibstandarte.uni.cc/

It will give you some more information I think on what you are looking for. If not it is an excellent site to keep bookmarked.

[​IMG]

E

18. Jon

Jon Member

Thanks Erich I will check that site out!!!
    Jon

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heyyyy thanks Erich, I hadnt seen that site before--you get ten of ten for this. [​IMG]

Rats--just tried the site but it didnt open--it froze :(

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

I am having a heck of a time this morning trying to load anything up on the PC.....terrorists I think. Dang, I wouldn't be surprised. the Tiger site is a good one I must say, if you can log onto it.

:cool:

E