Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Leningrad Battlefield Tour

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Stefan, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

They were very popular in the East during WW1 and the Civil War, I guess because with roads in Russia being so atrocious railways were very important. They were used to defend railyards and so on and were pretty successful from what I hear. Also used to defend other trains from attack, the Wikipedia article isn't too bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_train

Having done a little research, I reckon it is a Russian light BP-35 armoured train:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Richard

Richard Expert

Great stuff Stefan. [​IMG]

3. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Nice pictures Stefan. Always nice to see a few StuG pics.

Do you guys wear modern-day "undergarments" underneath the uniforms? I can't imagine what 17 below feels like. :eek:

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Some of the guys weren't, I decided to go totally authentic this year, cloth foot-wraps, canvas and leather boots, white cotton longjohns and shirt, cotton drill uniform, greatcoat and hat, original gloves.

It was a wee bit nippy, even the Russians (who had done the same thing) were feeling the cold. Several litres of vodka helped deal wih that though. Which leads to an interesting point, over here (and in the States from what I've heard) there is a strict 'no booze' rule at all battles etc, in Russia re-enactors are often hammered hours before the battle. Authentic but not good from a health and safety point of view.