Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Let's nominate the top 10 greatest WW2 films.

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by downfall1983, Nov 6, 2006.

?

Of these nominated films, which is your favorite?

1. Band of Brothers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Battle of Britain

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Cross of Iron

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Dambusters

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Das Boot

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Downfall (Der Untergang)

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. The Great Escape

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kelly's Heroes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Longest Day

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. The Pianist

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  11. Saving Private Ryan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 18mile

18mile Member

The Cross of Iron first. I read the book and both were superb!!!
    #2 would be Das Boot. Read the book also.
    #3 The Eagle has landed. Read the book also.
    All 3 were very close to the books. They were unbiased also.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Jeff, what's wrong with Kelly's Heroes? Has an all-star cast, good storyline and plenty of action in it. Ahhhhhhhh, to each his own ;-)))

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thinking about the pianist, it reminds me of an older movie called: Counterpoint - which is an always underrated movie and it to has a great cast and storyline. In short, Counterpoint is about a USO group that somehow gets captured by the German I THINK being captured during the Battle of the Bulge. If memory serves me correct, this movie not only had Charlton Heston in it but also Maximillian Schell; as Heston's nemisis.

Part of the story involves two men who were acting as if they were part of the USO Troup, and the members of said USO Troup knowingly tried to help them out by saying ther were part of the troup. At some point during the movie, those two "band members" decide they should try to escape but, I think before they had the chance to try, they were found out by the character that Max Schell played.

One thing I really liked about this movie was that there was a story within a story. I remember how the Germans found out about the two G.I's ""band members"" was when they were supposed to be playing in a concert of sorts and the Germans saw that they had little or no; musical talent. After that, I think those two were taken out and shot.

Anyway, sorry I got off on a tangent here but, this movie in its own way, reminded me about the Pianist - with differing factors of course.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Less than 24 hours to vote in this poll and then it closes at 1930 CST tomorrow, Friday 7 Dec, 2007. Vote is open to all, you new guys and you old farts.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And I noticed that as of this post, that nobody has voted for The Pianist :rofl: :lol: :lol: but I bet that some wiseaker will vote for it anyway. :rofl:

6. LovreNz

LovreNz recruit

Band of Brothers is a great movie, but Das Boot is still the best WWII movie in my opinion.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I like your avatar. Im assuming that that is a pilots badge? If so, nice badge! :))

8. Andrew Peasoup

Andrew Peasoup Member

Thank you, Slipdigit, for helping us to settle this debate for once and for all...

9. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Saw 300 and for what it was, a battle, it was entertaining, I would have made it differently, for some reason those in Hollywood just can't get enough of the grotesque and freak show versus just stick with the Battle scenes and if your going to show Harem girls make them belonging in a Harem(ie attractive) not the circus freak show.

Saw A Walk in the Sun, Dana Andrews, Lloyd Bridges this movie had alot of potential, the advisor was spot on they just needed better equipment and some basic acting skills, along with someone that knows how to direct and score a movie, that guy singing gets lame after two lines. This is a good story for a remake, good location, Italy and not too many WWII movies have focused on Italy.

So now that the poll is closed any thoughts on It came upon a Midnight Clear, for those of you that liked the Pianist, Shining Through and how bout those old BW war movies any favorites?

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Fully agree with you about what you said about 300. The freak stuff and too much CGI ruined it for me. Luckily all I spent to go see it was $1.00. However, I left feeling like I was robbed of .75 cents.

11. FramerT

FramerT Ace

I'd vote BoB if the poll was'nt closed. "Memphis Belle" would be a close second.

12. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Cor blimey I missed the vote on this. Too busy trying to suss how to turn subscriptions on here I think.

I like a whole raft of war movies, but for a number of different reasons. So Das Boot is a champion film, not just because it's incredibly well made but also because it marked a point where Germans could make films about a period they're typically uncomfortable with.

SPR and BoB are good films/series too, but despite the Anglo involvement, do leave me envious, I just want a similar effort featuring Brits and I imagine other nationalities feel the same.

I'd probably have voted for Dambusters though, seems like I watched this endlessly as a lad. It's the kind of film which was broadcast on rainy Sunday afternoons.

One of my faves is not really a war movie at all, it's "A Matter of Life and Death", probably seen as dreadfully corny now, but I find it very moving.

13. SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer

SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Member

Obviously being the new kid on the block I missed the poll. However, I have to say I am amazed that no one had mentioned "Bridge over the River Kwai" ?

If you were talking about War films in general I would have to opt for "Paths of Glory".

14. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

Okay even this pole is locked, I'll go with The Longest Day.

(Woot, 100th post!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.