Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Life Aboard U-976

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by The_Historian, Feb 8, 2017.

1. The_Historian

The_Historian Pillboxologist

YugoslavPartisan likes this.
  2. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Awesome collection. Thanks for sharing!

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member

Great pictures, Gordon. the percent of submariners that died must be the highest in any branch of service. The monument near Kiel conveys the same feeling to me that the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC does. Of concentrated deaths of so many men. Many monuments are of the celebratory type, but these, Kiel, etc, are quite the opposite. They are primarily are just sad because they convey the ending of so many young lives but at least they are not forgotten. There is controversy about ones like this but they are very moving to me.

4. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Monuments which celebrate dead Nazi-Soldiers are impossible in Germany. Even if there was no relation to the Holocaust possible.
    And that's alright. But to remember those men is important.

Far too many died. From 1943 onwards, the standard Type VII and Type IX boats were coffins. Dönitz often sent them out just to keep the Allies busy, which was almost murder.

5. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

I've read somewhere that out of 40,000 men who served in U-boats only 10,000 survived. So that's 75% death rate.

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member

I believe the KIA ration was a bit higher than that but will have to look it up.

I would not call the monument at Kiel celebratory but is , to me, powerful and moving. It list the names of all that died in U-Boat , service chiselled into a stone wall not unlike the Vietnam one. . To see so many names of mostly young men together truly saddened me. . Wars are beyond description, as are Nazis and theses sailors caused many deaths themselves but they were still sailors all.
    The Kiel site now has a U-Boat to visit as well but I was there before it. I have visited the Germany military cemetery North of Strasburg at Neiderborn-le-Bains in france . It is not celebratory as well but rather peaceful. In a grove of trees and well maintained fields the graves marked by a brown stones, some 14,000 plus. It does have a partially sunken building with light coming in from above. Both peaceful and again sad.

7. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

3 out of 4 is roughly correct.
    In Lothar-Günther Buchheims famous novel "Das Boot" the captain was called "Der Alte" (=the old one) by the crew. In fact he was 28 years old...