Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Link : US Navy Ships

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by Earthican, May 24, 2012.

1. Earthican

Earthican Member

Having read a book written by the captain of a coastal transport I wanted to find a picture of one and came across this site.

http://www.shipscribe.com/usnaux/frameset.html

It has information not found on the Hyperwar site (or I missed the link).

But I'm no ship expert maybe it is not as good as I think.

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

View attachment 18305
    Right USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 later converted to CG-5, Cleveland Class. 1960 as she steams out of SF Bay past the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Left USS OKC in Sydney, late 1970's.

World War II

Following shakedown, Oklahoma City transited the Panama Canal and reported to Commander Cruisers Pacific Fleet (ComCruPac) for duty, arriving at Pearl Harbor on 2 May 1945. She conducted local operations until 22 May when she sailed for Ulithi, thence to rendezvous on 6 June with Carrier Task Group 38.1 for operations in support of theOkinawa campaign. For the rest of June, and into July, she screened 3rd Fleet carriers during their intensified air operations against Japanese forces. On 18 July, she formed a bombardment group with other cruisers and destroyers, then rejoined the carrier task group for continued action against the Japanese home islands. At the end of hostilities, she continued to patrol off the coast of Japan and it was not until 10 September, after seventy-two days of continuous steaming, that she finally entered Tokyo Bay. Oklahoma Cityremained on occupation duty until relieved on 30 January 1946, when she departed for the United States. She arrived at San Francisco on 14 February, where she remained until 15 August, when she entered the Mare Island Navy Yard for inactivation. On 30 June 1947, she was placed out of commission in reserve, assigned to the San Francisco Group, U.S. Pacific Reserve Fleet.

Thankfully the Kamikazes missed her.

My NCO, David Campbell was the Flight Deck Officer during the frequent wind evacuation of Saigon in April '75. Landed maybe 30 Hueys, low on fuel, pushed them over the side to
    bring in the next one.

Oklahoma City was the last Cleveland-class cruiser in service and had the longest service history of all ships in the class. Accumulating some 13 battle stars for Vietnam-era engagements as flagship of the United States Seventh Fleet, the Oklahoma City has been commemorated at the National Museum of the Pacific War originally named the Admiral Nimitz Museum located in Fredricksburg, Texas. Two plaques honor her service in World War II and Vietnam. On 22 September 2006, the World War II plaque was dedicated. The Vietnam Plaque was dedicated on 11 April 2008 and calls her the "Haze grey Ghost of the Western Pacific". Source: Wikipedia

She was a great ship to sail on. My duty station from 1976-1978. As a flagship she rated a great crew, a privilege to serve

Attached Files:

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks. Always looking for new links.

5. Earthican

Earthican Member

I came across this site while searching for "Sea Porpoise" .
    http://www.armed-guard.com/
    HyperWar has a section on the Naval Armed Guard but again I did not find this site listed/linked. Seems like a good site to this land lubber.

I was searching for British Motor Transport Ship and found they are Liberty ships. Probably similar to the US MTV -- Motor Transport Vessel
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-TS-TC-Ops/USA-TS-TC-Ops-6.html

6. AdmiralKolchak1920

AdmiralKolchak1920 New Member

Could you refer me to someone who has access to muster rolls of the USS SMALLEY, WW2 time period?

7. AdmiralKolchak1920

Could you refer me to someone who has access to muster rolls of the USS SMALLEY, WW2 time period?

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Check ancestry.com or fold3.com for online muster roll. Both are pay sites, but you can search them for free before joining.

9. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

1944, 1945, and 1946 appear to be available on Fold3. For whom are you looking?

10. AdmiralKolchak1920

I will do that! Thank you!

11. AdmiralKolchak1920

I willgo to fol3. Didn't know about it. Thanks for your expertise and patience with a newbie!