Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Links : Nazi Rise To Power

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by Earthican, May 4, 2012.

1. Earthican

Earthican Member

I found this link not too long ago. I was interested in learning some details of the Nazi rise to power without investing in the Hitler literature. I imagine Wiki also has a more detail then a high school text book, but lacks the coherence of an authored article.

The History Place - The Rise of Adolf Hitler: Chapter Index

After reading the above I was then interested in the Western view of events in Germany. However all my internet searching yielded nothing -- or not much. I came across these on another forum.

Hitler and Hitlerism: A Man of Destiny - Magazine - The Atlantic

Swastika - Magazine - The Atlantic

LRusso216 likes this.
  2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Try from smoke to smother by Douglas Reed. Although you may not like it.

A British Shearer. 1948 publication. Not on the ball, lots missing, but there. Saw the Reichstag fire, met the people who mattered without knowing them or even that they mattered. Nos as detailed as Shearer and also compares Soviets to the same.

My own view...Hitler was many things. The one I will hold true to history though is he was a coward. What? Face his enemy? No Suicide was the preferred option.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I should add a word of warning on Reed. No matter his writing show Nazism and communism at their worst in his view...He was known to be viruntly anti semitic. I'd give his thoughts on Jewish areas including the Holocaust, a wide berth. This however does not preclude his warning on nazis in the thirtees when others were cozying up to the same people.

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

There you´re right urqh! He was a coward who hide behind a monstrous and deadly wall of Gestapo and SS and he was as paranoid as his worst enemy Stalin. In thruth both could have shared the same cell in the funny farm!

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

These links are quite good. As I read more from Shirer, I become convinced that tne average German of the 20s and 30s was to Hitler's liking. When war broke out, they were more than willing to go along with shortages of various items and turn a blind eye to atrocities committed by the Nazis. They even believed what they read in the controlled press. The more I read, the more convinced I become.

6. Earthican

Earthican Member

7. scipio

scipio Member

I loved reading Shirer - read it again after 15 years absence and still as good.

However, if you want a real indepth book by a German writer, I would recommend "Hitler" by Joachim C Fest. Bit heavy going at times and indulges in a bit too much psychoanalysis but the best I have read.

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Sounds interesting urqh and Adam. I'll give it a try. I've read several biographies of Hitler (including Fest, I think) over many years. One more won't hurt.