Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

List of Airshows I might/will be attending in 2018

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JJWilson, Nov 18, 2017.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Me and my Dad are huge airshow lovers! We go to just about every airshow in Arizona every year, and have been doing that since 2010. Along with with in state airshows, we always chose to go to at least two out of state airshows each year. This year I have quite the dilemma to deal with. I can either go to the air races, or go to the Flying Legends airshow at Duxford, UK. I made a thread about a month back about the National Championship air races at Reno Nevada, I have gone to every race (except 2010) since 2009, and it is a very real possibility that this might be my last chance to go. As for Duxford, I have been outside of the country once, and that was Mexico, so going to the U.K would be amazing seeing all of the history, and seeing warbirds fly where they actually flew and even fought 70 years ago. Both sound great, but I can't have both, unless I came up for the money, which I do have enough money to pay for an entire trip, I would just spend month of hard earned money that I could spend and allocate elsewhere. I'll have to make a decision by January for airplane tickets and scheduling. So I have a good month to way my options.....anyway here are the other airshows I may or may not be going to next year.

• Cactus Antique Fly-in March 2-3 Casa Grande, AZ (Going)
    • Luke AFB Open house/Airshow March 10-11 Goodyear, AZ (Going)
    • Davis Monthan AFB Open house/Airshow March 17-18 Tuscon, AZ (Going)
    • Falcon Field Open house/Airshow April 15 Mesa, AZ (Going)
    • Planes of Fame Airshow May 5-6 Chino, CA (Going)
    • Flying Legends Airshow July 14-15 Duxford, UK (Maybe)
    • Reno Air Races Spetember 12-16 Reno, NV (Maybe)

2. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Me and my son are also avid airshow fans and Duxfords Flying Legends airshow is an excellent and well organised airshow to attend. The sight and sound of a group of Spitfires in flight is an awe inspiring spectacle. September's Battle of Britain Airshow at Duxford is also another great show. You could also use your time whilst in the UK to see some more WW2 related places I.e the multitude of abandoned airbases that are dotted around Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.

On a more modern note, my son and I have just booked our tickets for next Julys RIAT (Royal International Air Tattoo) airshow at RAF Fairford in Cambridgeshire. It's a huge show with modern aircraft in attendance from air forces from around the world. I'm looking forward in particular to seeing the Ukrainian air forces Sukhoi Su-27 doing its display there.

JJWilson likes this.
  3. Owen

Owen O

Gloucestershire. :)
    We usually to park up nearby & watch it for free.
    Also been there a few times with free tickets thanks to my sister.

4. jagdpanther44

Thanks for the correction Owen.

My head was a still focused in Duxford, Cambridgeshire when I posted that! :)

5. Owen

Owen O

Am now thinking of going to Flying Legends with youngest son & Father-in-law.
    They'd both love that.

6. chibobber

chibobber Member

May I suggest that You join the Experimental Aircraft Association(EAA). Their airshow and fly in is world famous.As a member IIRC you can get on the flight line and get close to the planes.Just a thought. It is one gathering that any airplane lover should see at least once in their lifetime.(plenty of info on line)
    Forgot to mention it is held in July in Oshgosh,Wisconsin.

JJWilson likes this.
  7. JJWilson

Hello chibobber, I actually attended the EAA airventure last year with my dad we were there from Tuesday through Saturday and it was pretty amazing! We are also EAA members and had been before the airshow actually, (became members at Reno years ago) I loved seeing the Doolittle re-enactment with 12 B-25's and the B-1 high speed passes. As for RIAT, me and my dad have talked about that being an option, but honestly I prefer WW2 warbirds over modern jets usually so I think I would save that for a later vacation in the future.

8. jagdpanther44

You can get pretty close to the aircraft at Duxfords airshows.

This was how close we were to the aircraft as they taxied back to their stands after doing air displays.

DSC_3058.JPG
    _20171119_200025.JPG

Owen and JJWilson like this.
  9. JJWilson

Wow that's pretty close, Planes of Fame in chino is close, but not that close! I was talking to a friend today actually about my dilemma between the races and Duxford, and he thought I was crazy that there even is a dilemma. I've been to the air races 8 times, so yeah I've seen it and have experienced it, whereas with Duxford I've never been, so you think it would be an easy decision but there is something about the races (something I really can't even explain) that brings me back each year. I'm not fully confident in this, but right now I'm leaning towards Duxford a little simply because I don't know when I'll have an opportunity like this to go again. I thankfully have about a month to make up my mind....

10. jagdpanther44

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with the airshow at Duxford. The ticket price also entitles you entrance to the museums hangars that house their impressive static display collection. If you plan your day well, you can spend a few hours in the hangars in the morning, before settling down in the afternoon at a good spot on the flight line to watch the flying displays.

JJWilson likes this.
  11. JJWilson

Thank you John for the helpful information, I have heard and read great things about the Flying collection there and that's great to know the tickets grant you entrance into the museum as well!

12. jagdpanther44

You're welcome!

Like I mentioned earlier, if you come to the UK then you could include other air related places of interest to see while you are here. I've visited what is left of a few of the former RAF and USAAF bases in Lincolnshire and it's very thought invoking to stand on what was once a busy runway and imagine Lancaster bombers or Boeing B-17s hurtling down them on their way to bomb their targets in Germany, and also thinking about those brave soles who never returned.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    JJWilson likes this.
  13. JJWilson

I'm sure must be an incredible experience being at places like that, You can kind of get that feeling at places like Falcon field in Arizona where USAAF, RAF, and RCAF pilots went to do basic training during the war, but seeing the airfields where they actually "rode into battle" if you will is surely amazing....