Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

List of Victims from Oria Sinking?

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by ddevirgilio, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ddevirgilio

ddevirgilio recruit

My grandfather, Damiano De Virgilio, for whom I am named, was stationed in Rhodes while serving for the Italian army in WWII. After the Italian
    armistice of September 8, 1943, he was taken prisoner by the Germans. We have no firm information about his fate beyond his imprisonment.

After conducting a thorough search of his Italian military records and family documents, I have inconclusive evidence that he was one of the over 4000 Italian POWs who perished in the sinking of the Oria off the coast of the island of Patroklos in the Aegean in February 1944. Now, I'm trying to validate my suspicions.

There is rather sparse information on the web regarding the Oria sinking. However, I've seen some threads on various international forums, (Example 1, Example 2) where some people have claimed to have a list of those who died in the tragedy. Unfortunately, I've had no luck in contacting these individuals.

While I try a variety of channels to validate my suspicions, I thought it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone here might have any suggestions or helpful information pertaining to my search.

Thanks,
    Damian

2. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

I See that you've been on other sites asking the same question ddevirgilio. On the Second link I cant see any mention of a list.

We are talking about the SS Oria
    SS ORIA (February 12, 1944)
    Italian troopship taken over by the Germans in November,1942, in Marseilles. Given a new name 'Norda 1V' she departed Marseilles for Italy where she was given back her old name of ORIA. Still under German management the vessel departed Rhodes for Piraeus on February 11, 1944, with 4,200 Italian prisoners-of-war on board. They were guarded by over sixty German soldiers. Next day, February 12, the ship encountered a severe storm and while attempting to anchor near the island of Patroklos she stranded on the Gaidaroneos Reef and broke up. Only 49 prisoners, 6 soldiers and 5 crew including the captain, were rescued.

Maritime Disasters of WWII 1944, 1945

This a Picture of the Ship
    [​IMG]
    SS Oria, date and place unknown. (Photo: © Karelas George).

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/boats/images/targets/merchant_german_oria.jpg

D/S Oria
    Updated Febr. 12-2009
    To Oria on the "Ships starting with N" page.​

OpenDNS

3. ddevirgilio

ddevirgilio recruit

A lot has happened since I originally started this thread. I am now part of an informal group of individuals from across the globe with various ties to the Oria. Together, we were able to attain a list of victims with the help of the International Red Cross. We are now working together to assist a local municipality with the construction of a memorial at their own cost. In addition, we are petitioning the Italian government for support with proper preservation and recovery of the shipwreck site.

An Italian website dedicated to the history of the islands of the Aegean has provided space for updates on our efforts. The list of victims are available there, and you can subscribe to a email list on the subject as well. There is a growing Facebook group too. Communication is done both in English and Italian.