Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lithuania's "Double Holocaust"?

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Sep 14, 2010.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"No one wants to live surrounded by death. It's understandable that people who now live on the spot that was once the Kovno ghetto, where close to 35,000 Jews were herded, starved and eventually led to their deaths, would not want to be constantly reminded of the fact. So I was not too surprised this week to watch fathers pushing baby buggies and mothers carrying groceries on Linkuvos Street, a residential road in modern Kaunas, Lithuania, with just one small obelisk – barely visible amid the traffic at a junction – marking the site where the gates to the ghetto once stood. The wording, in Hebrew and Lithuanian, is brief: no death toll, no mention of the unspeakable suffering that happened within.
    I understand, too, why there are no special road signs directing visitors to make the short drive to the Ninth Fort, the place where the Nazis and their Lithuanian collaborators dug deep, vast pits – into which they shot almost 10,000 Jews, including 4,273 children, on a single day in October 1941, the so-called Great Action. I can see why the people of Kaunas would prefer the Ninth Fort to be seen only by those people who come looking for it."
    I see why 'double genocide' is a term Lithuanians want. But it appals me | Jonathan Freedland | Comment is free | The Guardian

2. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I just finished a book Izzy's Fire. I believe this is the ghetto they escaped from. Very inspiring story.

3. Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes Flight Medic

only if I had my computer back =( I have this all and when I can get my computer back I'll link this thread. Thanks Historian

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

well done gordon, great addition to holocaust thread, ray..I'l rep you when I can..