Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Live bullet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoneyGuy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy Member

I have a WWII unspent bullet that I'm trying to confirm is not dangerous. I could post pics but I'm wondering if I could email the pics to someone who would know. Please message me if you're an armaments expert.

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

If you have a complete round or cartridge you can pretty much easily tell yourself if it's live or inert.

[​IMG]
    Most cartridges/rounds have the same basic parts 1) bullet (what you asked about) or projectile, if you have just this part you're basically safe unless talking 20mm or so in which case they may have enough explosive in an HE projectile to be of some concern. 2)-case, this is the normally brass, but sometimes steel or other metals. It basically holds the bullet, (3) propellant/powder and has the primer (5) seated in it. If the case has a hole drilled in it where the powder/propellant has been removed it's likely inert. If the primer is dimpled or removed it's likely inert. Otherwise, likely not. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're planning in dropping it a lot (even then it would be extremely unlikely that you would drop it just so, in order to set it off). Also, if you plan on subjecting it to excessive heat or beating on the base with a hammer it might be an issue.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

I agree, when growing up we had thousands of various WW2 rounds in the house. Somer in bandoliers, m, any just loose in boxes are drawers and we were curious kids. . In hindsight, we were too careless but not bad events and were not foolish. A single round would be highly unlikely to be a problem but a bit of care in ammunition is always smart particularly around guns. We had a storage building burn with a fair amount of 30-06 in it. Sounded like whistling fireworks but the cases split and burned and none exploded. Some had the projectiles still in them, most pushed out.

\Gaines

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

If it helps we had a kid here in the Territory who found a number of .303 rounds form one of the old air fields...he put them in his back pocket and then sat on a rock and one went off!

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Found a 40mm round in a rock polisher once. Yanked the mom and her kids out of the house.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

As long as it's not big enough to have an explosive charge you should be ok. So 20mm and up should be id'd by an expert. Some of the older propellants may be unstable (say WWI era). If I'm wrong several people here will know enough to correct me on this. What caliber is it and what markings are on it? Steel or brass case? Nationality?