Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lloyd Fredenall's Tébessa Bunker?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by George Patton, Apr 1, 2011.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Does anyone have any information pertaining to General Lloyd Fredendall's command bunker located a few miles southeast of Tebessa, Algeria? Fredendall was commander of II Corps in North Africa until he was sacked following the failure at Kasserine Pass. I am specifically looking for photos, a GPS co-ordinate and its current state. Given its size and the fact that it was hidden underground in a relatively remote area, I would assume that at least a part of it remains largely intact to this day.

Thanks.

Ruffels likes this.
  2. George Patton

Does anyone have any information? I continue to hit dead ends in my research - I can't even find a photo of it.

Thanks.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've looked for them myself, to no avail.

4. George Patton

I just received a copy of the new After the Battle book titled "The Desert War". I've just skimmed through a few pages of it, but it doesn't appear to include anything on Fredendall's bunker. However, author Jean-Paul Pallud did locate the HQ used by the Afrika Korps used during the Kasserine Battle.

Oh well. As the saying goes, "the hunt goes on".

4th wilts likes this.
  5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Find anything yet?

6. Ruffels

Ruffels New Member

Hi. I just joined this forum as I saw this post about Fredendalls bunker. I know it’s 10 years since the person posted but I may...may, have found it.
    I was doing a Flight Simming tour of the Kasserine Pass battlefield and on the way back to land at Tebbesa I thought I would skirt the mountains to the south just in case I might see something. (MSFS 2020 uses Bing Maps to recreate the entire earth at a very high quality). Anyway, I flew over a village called Bekkaria which is tucked into the side of a V shaped mountain and right beside it to the south are three giant cave openings. I can’t tell whether they were filled in or not but they are clearly there and the result of blasting.
    The location certainly fits the bill. So Google Map, Bekkaria, Algeria (don’t think it’s Tunisia) and see what you think. It’s pretty cool in the Sim. Okay, maybe someone will pick this up 10 years from now!

Kai-Petri and Slipdigit like this.