Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Local Newspaper Research for American GIs

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by briannalinette, Mar 11, 2016.

1. briannalinette

briannalinette New Member

I have started traveling out of state to the PA library to search through microfilm records in an effort to find more articles or photos about a particular soldier.

Does anyone know around what times in a soldier's career a local newspaper is likely to publish mentions or photos (other than obituaries)? It seems like they will sometimes publish a blurb when a local boy is sent overseas or sent to training.

Apologies if this is covered anywhere, but I couldn't find it with my search terms. Any advice that could help me narrow my timeframes would be appreciated because I only have a limited amount of time to scan records, esp since the library is only open one Saturday a month.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I have a bit of experience in researching newspaper archives. I have found that earlier in the War (1942-1943), a lot more information was provided as far as unit assignments and where the soldiers were located or going. Later in the War (1944-1945), much less specific information is available. This was probably due to an eventual appreciation of operational security.

If you are aware of any notable events in their service (i.e. promotion, medal awarded, wounded in action), check 1-3 months after the event. Even if there is no specific unit or location information, there may be other details that will be of interest. One of my great uncles sent home V-Mail letters. Parts of some of them were published in the local paper.

One thing that helped me was noting that the newspaper usually had a section of the paper where information on servicemen was printed. After that, I would check the front page and then skip to the section with servicemen news.

I hope that helps a bit.

briannalinette likes this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

One more thing. The place I went to was a county historical museum. They had microfilm of county newspapers going back to the 1920s or so. They also had family genealogy files. I was fortunate to find some information that way as well.

briannalinette likes this.
  4. briannalinette

briannalinette New Member

Thank you so much!