Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for Hiroshima footage (before the bombing) and photo comparisons (before and after)

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by Falkor, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Falkor

Falkor recruit

I'm new to the forum. Does any footage exist showing life in the streets of Hiroshima before the bombing? Also, I can't seem to find any comparisons of street scenes before and after. I have seen some aerial photos, but they don't really show the contrast of before and after as they are taken too high above the actual buildings. I have seen some postcards of Hiroshima, but no matching photos from the same viewpoints during, say, the late 1940s or even 1950s.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Welcome to the forum!

This won't be of much help unless you are planning on going to Japan, but the museum in Hiroshima had a wide array of "before" pictures. I'll see if I have any photos of these on my computer.

As for "before and after" comparisons, I doubt you would find anything except photos of the "A-Bomb Dome". While the USAAF took a lot of photos after the surrender, you would likely have trouble lining them up seeing as how the rest of the city was completely destroyed.

3. 36thID

36thID Member

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Nice find Steve. That link had a lot of the photos from the museum.

5. Falkor

Falkor recruit

Cheers for the replies so far. That site is where I saw the postcards of Hiroshima, but none of the "after" photos are taken from the same viewpoint as the before photos, so there is no context between them. I was hoping there might be a website out there that compares something like "Here is a postcard showing Sushi Street in the 1930s. To the right you can see the main market buildings."
    "Now here is a photo taken from the opposite end of the same street shortly after the bombing. All the restaurants and other shops have been wiped out. To the left is all that remained of the market buildings".
    Something like that would be perfect and exactly what I am seeking.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member