Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for info 514 Squadron

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by clarke76, Nov 24, 2009.

1. clarke76

clarke76 Member

Hi, I'm a new member looking for info on my great uncle, Harry Matthews Glansford, a sergeant in squadron 514 (air bomber), service number 1542381. I know virtually nothing apart from the fact that he died on 21/7/44. I would love to know anything about him and his service in RAF. Please help!

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. clarke76

clarke76 Member

Thanks so much. I'm really interested in finding out all I can. All I have to start with is the most basic of info and one photograph. I would love to find out more and be able to pass the info on to my family.

4. Icare9

Icare9 Member

I'm sure I've seen other 514 sqdn requests lately on some other forums, so may be worth continuing by Googling for 514 Squadron.
    For starters, I've Googled this, you may have this info, but it may encourage others to fill in any gaps, particularly as to whether it was shot down by night fighters or flak.

Lancaster Serial Number ME858. 514 Squadron JI-J. Operation Homberg. Date 21st July 1944

ME858 was delivered to 514 Sqdn 17 Jun 44 Lost on its second Key Operation. First operation to Aulnoye 18 Jul 44. When lost this aircraft had a total of 48 hours. ME858 was one of four 514 Sqdn Lancasters lost on this operation. See: HK570; HK571; LM181. Airborne 2307 20 Jul 44 from Waterbeach. Crashed 0116 21 Jul 44 approx. 1 km SW of Hunsel (Limburg), a small village close to the Belgian border and 10 km SE of the Dutch town of Weert where all were buried in the Roman Catholic Churchyard.

Name: BLORE, WILLIAM EDWARD. Rank: Sergeant (Air Gnr.)
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 21/07/1944
    Service No: 2221318
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 5. Cemetery: HUNSEL ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHYARD

Name: BROWN, DAVID OSCAR. Nationality: Canadian. Rank: Flying Officer (Nav.)
    Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
    Unit Text: 514 (R.A.F.) Sqdn
    Service No: J/35242
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 2. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard

Name: DERHAM, NORMAN. Rank: Sergeant (Flt. Engr.)
    Service No: 1896733
    Additional information: Son of Thomas and Annie Derham, of Bradford, Yorkshire; husband of Ivy Rose Derham.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 4. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard

Name: GLANSFORD, HARRY MATTHEWS. Rank: Sergeant (Air Bomber)
    Service No: 1542381
    Additional information: Son of Harry Matthews Glansford and Lizzie Credgington Glansford, of Gipsyville, Hull.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Joint grave 6. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard.

Name: HOLT, GEORGE HENRY. Rank: Sergeant (W. Op. (Air)
    Service No: 1127147
    Additional information: Son of Mark Henry and Hilda Holt; husband of Joyce Holt, of Winsford, Cheshire.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 3. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard

Name: LONG, HAROLD EDWIN. Rank: Sergeant (Air Gnr.)
    Service No: 3030276
    Additional information: Son of Owen Cephas Long and Mildred Mary Long, of Westwell, Kent.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 1. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard

Name: MILLAR, DOUGLAS. Rank: Flying Officer (Pilot)
    Service No: 53841
    Additional information: Son of James Ironside Millar and Anne Millar; husband of Doreen Mary Millar, of Heaton Norris, Stockport, Cheshire.
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Joint grave 6. Cemetery: Hunsel Roman Catholic Churchyard.

Obviously, as all the crew were killed, the end would have been swift, however they were able to be identified. Your great uncle was the bomb aimer and he is buried in a joint grave with his pilot, which I'm afraid indicates they were trapped close together in the crash.

There are many stories of aircrew graves being tended by the local community and it is possible that there are people still in the area who may recall the crash. It might be worth looking for contact details for the Mayor or Town Hall in Hunsel, who may be able to add more details. For what it is worth it looks as if they were on their way home after successfully bombing the target.

Hope this is of help

Flack and LRusso216 like this.
  5. clarke76

clarke76 Member

This is all just wonderful, thank you so very much. Until earlier this week, I knew but him name. You've no idea how much this means to me and my family.

6. Icare9

Icare9 Member

There is a photograph of the 7 graves at this site:

Google Image Result for http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/userimages/HunselRCCY.JPG

I'd suggest copying and pasting into your browser rather than trying to type it!
    (about halfway down, just scroll till you reach "Hunsel".
    I have to say it looks lovely and well cared for.
    Perhaps a visit will provide more information.
    Also I believe there is a 514 Squadron Association. If so, try contacting them for a Historian who may not only know more but might have contact details for other relatives.
    It certainly looks as if Sgt Long has had visitors leaving a photo etc on his grave.

7. vic79

vic79 recruit

Thanks for all the info in this thread so far.

My great uncle was George Holt, the wireless operator for the ME858 Lancaster which went down over Hunsel. I have recently been trying to find information about him and have so far discovered this site which contains photos of some of the graves:

index

If you follow 'other cemetries' and go down you will see photos of the graves. It appears that someone has been tending the graves and putting photos of the lost airmen by the graves. I would love to know who has done this.

It seems that the good people of Hunsel also have paid for a new memorial to the brave people of ME858 and this video shows the ceremony for that service, conducted by an RAF padre:

YouTube - Lancaster monument 514 squadron

Does anybody know which one was excused military service but joined up anyway?

Does anybody know any more information about how ME858 was lost? Was it shot down? Some of the records seem to have FTR by them? What does this mean?

Many thanks,

Vic.

8. alieneyes

alieneyes Member

Failed to return.

The strike on the synthetic petrol refinery at Homberg was rather costly for Bomber Command.

No 75 Squadron alone lost seven of its 25 aircraft, an unsustainable rate.

Of small consolation to the next of kin of those who made the ultimate sacrifice on this operation the targeted Rheinprussen plant was devastated.

This is what happens when 817 tons of Bomber Command munitions are dropped rather accurately.

9. Icare9

Icare9 Member

Lokking at the link provided by vic79 (Thanks!) it would appear that both Long and Glansford have photo's, in fact only Sgts Blore and Derham lack photo's, so it is obvious that someone has been working hard.
    I have seen the Hunsel memorial dedication flypast posted on another forum (PPRuNe?) including posts by the RAF Padre who conducted the service.
    The BBMF website has comments posted, such as:
    We thank you from all the people of the village of Hunsel and the project group for the flypast you gave us with the unveiling of the monument for crew members of the Lancaster ME 858 JI-J from 514 squadron crashed on the raid to 20/21 July 1944. It was an unforgetble day for the 14 relatives of the crew members, especially for Mrs Annie Wood, sister from the tail gunner Harold Long. Regards Ton Bosmans
    another BBMF post:
    14.15 hours Meerlo a small village in Limburg. A crowd stands in front of a monument remembering the crew of a downed Lancaster. After a prayer, the Last Post and the Lament by a piper, the crowd turns around and there comes the BBMF Lancaster right over the monument. Banking over to starboard she retuns for a second pass which ends in a turn over her port wing for the final pass over the speechless crowd. The Lancaster greets us and heads for Beuningen where another Lancaster crew will be commemorated. When the Lancaster is out of sight the people express their feelings about this moving event. What a fine salute for all who gave their lives for our freedom. Thank you BBMF, we hope to see you more in our airspace. Han. Posted by J.H.C.van Arensberge

As grateful as the French, Belgians and Dutch may be, we too appreciate the tending of the graves for those who have been unable to visit in person. Posting up these photos means that at least they are not forgotten. Thank you, Hunsel.

10. Alfa

Alfa recruit

Hi , I have read all your requests with special intresed . I have search for more than 10 years for information on this lancaster crash . And found a lot of information from this crash like the police report (in dutch) and got contact with relatives of all the seven crewmembers . i have also help a lot to realise the monument near the crashsite . It was for all the people a very special ceremony the 4th of may .
    I'am very keen to come in contact with the relatives of George Holt and Harry Glansford .
    What I know is that the Lancaster ME 858 was on the way to Homberg and that it was shot down by a german night fighter . The airplane was hit in one of the wings and explode high in the air . None of the crewmembers was able to leave the Lancaster . Parts of the plane are laying in a circle of 500 meters around the crahssite .
    I have photographs from the crashsite made the day after the crash .
    If you are interrested plaese contact me tonbosmans(as usual)home.nl

11. DIGGER1

DIGGER1 recruit

Hi

Harry Matthews Glansford was my uncle, my fathers brother. In May 2009, I was privelaged to be part of the unveiling ceremony of a memorial to the crew of the Lancaster by the people of Hunsel. It was a very memorable and moving experience. I would be happy to share what information I have, although a lot of it has already been shared.

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hello Digger. Welcome to this fine place. Does this mean you are related to Clarke76? He said that Harry Glansford was his great uncle. Seems there should be some connection.

13. Alfa

Alfa recruit

Hello Vic 79

I research this crash of Lancaster ME 858 for more than 10 years and was one of persons that take the initiative for build a monument near the crashsite . The monument was unveild by Mrs Annie Wood the sister from Harold Long (tailgunner ) . We got luck that the Lancaster of the BBMF made a flypast over nine other monuments in Holland that day .
    For all the relatives from the crewmembers (14) it was a very special and emotional day . In wich way you are related to the Holt family .
    I got a photograph from George Holt and contact with his son Andrew .

Regrads

Alfa

14. clarke76

clarke76 Member

Thank you for all your help. I'm actually going to visit the graves of these men in a couple of weeks and I want to know as much as I can about them before I go. It would indeed seem that I am related to Digger, an added bonus coming from my visit to this site!

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Lancaster ME 858 was shot down by Unteroffizier Gustav Sarzio flying a Bf 110G-4 while in 6./NJG 1.

16. 610DWK

610DWK recruit

does anyone know how I ca get contact information for vic79 ? My Uncle was George Holt from this flight, and I have been tying to find out more. I have to give Ton Bosmans a lot of credit and thanks for stumbling onto myuself and my sister a couple of years ago

17. 610DWK

610DWK recruit

Just a small update on George Holt - he left behind a son, Andrew, and George also left a brother Stan and a sister Hilda. Stan was my dad who has passed away, ans my Aunt Hilda, who is frail but still going at 81 in Wales.

18. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks for the update 610DWK. Vic79 was a recruit and since he only posted the once it would be difficult. Perhaps SlipDigit will see the post, as he may be able to see more information from when Vic79 registered on the Forum.

19. lancaster103

lancaster103 recruit

Ejjjj Teun gaai ok hier????
    Gr Adje

20. Keith derham

Keith derham recruit

Hi there.still interested in Harry Matthew Glansford?My email is kjen05@bigpond.net.au

Regards Keith Derham(nephew of Norman Derham flight engineer)