Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for info 514 Squadron

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by clarke76, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jlehrer77

jlehrer77 recruit

My name is Jim Lehrer ... I'm a teacher at Balfour Collegiate (formerly Balfour Tech), the high school that David Oscar Brown (navigator) attended as a boy, in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. We have a plaque in our hallway that honours David and 89 other boys/men that died in World War II. (Balfour Remembers ... | Balfour Collegiate) I found your thread after researching the names on this plaque.

Someone on this thread mentioned that they've been in contact with the relatives of the men on this flight. Just wondering who they contacted for David Oscar Brown. I'd like to get ahold of them as well.

Also interested in pictures, etc. as we're doing a memorial to the students from our school that fought in this war on our school's website. Thanks for the links to the YouTube video, gravesite pictures, etc. It's impressive to see how the people of Hunsel, & people around the world, have honoured these brave men.

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

ME858 Information at: http://lostaircraft.com/database.php?mode=viewentry&e=11855

Bombing run to Homberg, Germany, the objective: to bomb the Rheinprussen synthetic petrol plant.

Oscar's plane was lost on it's way to the target, only it's 2nd mission with only a total of 48 hours on the plane.
    According to Dutch historian, Ton Bosmans, the Lancaster's complete bomb load was on board when it crashed.
    Only a few bombs exploded in the open field outside the village of Hunsel. The Lancaster was also carrying a large 4000 HC (Cookie) bomb. It did not explode.

According to eye witnesses,
    "The airplane was hit in one of the wings and exploded high in the air. None of the crew members was able to leave the Lancaster. Parts of the plane are laying in a circle of 500 meters around the crash site."

In May of 2009 the town of Hunsel, Netherlands dedicated a new memorial to the Lancaster ME 858 crew. According to the website WW2museums.com:
    The memorial is located opposite Schansstraat 4 in Hunsel and commemorates the crash of Lancaster ME 858 of the 514 Squadron, in the night of 20 to 21 July 1944, when it returned from Homberg.
    The memorial exists of a stone with a V-sign (Victory of Freedom (Vrijheid in Dutch)). These are parts of one of the wings of the crashed Lancaster.
    The sign above the plaque is made from metal from one of the engines which was found some years ago. The memorial stands less than 50 metres away from the crashsite of the Lancaster.

The crew is buried on St. Jacob Churchyard in Hunsel.

The government of the province of Saskatchewan has named a Saskatchewan landmark in honour of Flying Officer David Oscar Brown.
    The landmark is called \'Brown Channel\' and it is located at the following latitude & longitude: latitude: 55 degrees, 37' longitude: 106 degrees, 26'

Author and pilot, Doug Chisolm, has this to say about the landmark tribute ...
    "Brown Channel on Pinehouse Lake was named in his memory by our province and I prepared a geo-memorial tribute for the family with the aerial photo which I had recorded.
    As part of the Churchill River, it is a very beautiful site, a few miles north of from the community.
    I am quite familiar with the area, as I have installed 2 bronze memorial plaques at other geo-memorial sites not far from Brown Narrows."