Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for Information..

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Mike391, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Mike391

Mike391 New Member

Hello,
    I received new information yesterday on my Grandfathers WW2 service from his Maryland Separation Papers and I was wondering if anyone could help me?

Prior, I only had the following information from his US Army Hand Baggage Tags )in which I have not found any information).
    Earl James Parr (From Baltimore, MD. Active Duty Oct 1941-Dec 1945)
    PFC
    337th Bomb SQD 96 Bomb Group
    APO - 559
    Movement No. RE-7400-G
    Symbol E
    From 337th SQ AAF 138
    To Z of I
    He sailed home from Southampton, England to NY on the Queen Mary

As of yesterday and the information provided on his Separation papers his Organization was different. It states he was part of the 50th FG SQ 66 FW (as typed on his papers). It states he sailed to Scotland and he was a Truck Driver as his service occupation. I've tried to research 50th FG SQ 66 FW but I was unable to find information on the organization only the 50th and 66th as separate entities.

I am hoping, someone may be able to help me out on his Organization as stated on his discharge papers and perhaps what base he may have sailed to in Scotland and how he ended up with/at the 337th before returning state side. Any information would be most helpful!

Attached is his Report of Separation/Discharge papers.

Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Its a bit odd, since the 50th Fighter Squadron was part of the 14th Fighter Group until 14 November 1942 when it was attached to the 342d Composite Group, then to the Eighth Air Force in February 1944, before assignment to the 8th Reconnaissance Group (Provisional) from March until it was disbanded on 9 August 1944. The 66th Fighter Wing was assigned to Eighth Air Force, but did not include the 50th FG Sqn, 342d Comp Grp or 8th Rcn Grp. Odd, but I suspect that the units listed on his separation papers were those he was assigned to for his return to the States, which was a common practice. The odd part is that the 50th FG Sqn technically did not exist when he returned to the States...

3. Mike391

Mike391 New Member

Thanks Richard for the information! I find it to be odd and confusing myself, especially because according to his US Army Hand Baggage Tags he was assigned to the 337th Bomb SQD 96 Bomb Group (see attached picture). If you have anymore insight please let me know, THANKS!

Attached Files: