Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for Information

Discussion in 'WW2|ORG - WWII Open Resource Group' started by MattRevel, Mar 6, 2021.

1. MattRevel

MattRevel New Member

Hello all,

My grandfather passed away in April of last year and I just was able to obtain his Navy discharge record. I was looking to see if anyone could shine any light on any of the things listed in his military record. My father has always told me he was on a ship that was sunken in the Atlantic and was treading water for 24 hours before being picked up. I'm not sure if it was a transport or other kind of vessel. I've always been interested in trying to find that information. Here is what is listed in his service record.

Name: REVEL, James Michael 711-24-16
    Seaman First Class V6 USNR

Ratings Held:

AS, S2c, 1c

Service:

NRS NY NY / NTS Newport R.I. / AGC Bklyn N.Y. / SS Narbo / USNH St. Albans L.I. NY / Rec Bks Miami FL/ NTSCH (FC) (R) Ft. Lauderdale Fla. / USNABPD San Bruno Calif. / US Naval Sta. Navy 3149 / US NAVAL Supply Depot / Navy 3149/ RS San Fran, Calif. / RS Brooklyn NY/ PSC Lido Beach, L.I. NY

Remarks:
    American Theatre Medal
    Victory Medal
    Asiatic Pacific Medal two stars
    Philippine Liberation Ribbon
    Qualified Marksman

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Narbo was owned by Lykes Bros. Steamship Co. Lykes went out of business in 2005 and CP Ships, Tampa, took up their assets. They may have more information on Narbo.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm not a Navy guy, so hopefully one of our Navy experts will be able to explain some of what will follow. I found your grandfather on the 7 Jan 1945 Muster Rolls/Report of Changes for the USS Wharton. There are many, many pages of personnel, so I am only posting a couple.

The first is page #47 on which your grandfather is listed (line #27):

USS_Wharton_7Jan45_pg47.jpg

The second is page #47 which seems to indicate, albeit cryptically, his destination, "...Outside the continental limits of the U.S. to commanding officer CUB 12":

USS_Wharton_7Jan45_pg44.jpg

The ship's destination/s is/are indicated as "FRAY, HOSO, OSSO, AVID". For what it's worth, my guess is that they are either acronyms or code names.

No need to thank me for making things murkier for you. ;)

MattRevel likes this.