Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for my grandfather

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by MattB, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MattB

MattB Member

It says:

...then he was invalided home to America. I never knew what was wrong with him, although he often complained of a severe pain in his chest. His address at that time was 'Currate' (?), Anna Maria, Florida where his mother and father lived. His name was Edward Carleton, called Eddie...

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I wonder if one of the hints is the word "Currate" as with 2 Rs it is the amalgamation of the words currency and rate and is of recent vintage. "Curate" with one R, refers to a person of the clergy Curate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I am wondering whether when he was invalided out that he was in the care of a Curate, in the sense of religious location in which those injured or ill were looked after.

Perhaps, that is something else you could check on with the local librarian in Anna Maria? If there was such a place, there may be records with the church which would indicate if he were there, and possibly a set of contact names.

ANNA MARIA

Anna Maria Island Historical Society, Inc.
    Carolyne Norwood, Administrator
    P. O. Box 4315
    405 Pine Avenue
    Anna Maria, FL 34216(941) 778-0492
    Primarily a small museum collection, the Society also holds scrapbooks and photographs documenting the area.

3. MattB

MattB Member

Thanks for the reply macrusk.

Good ideas there - though I have already contacted the AMIHS - waiting on a response at the moment. As it happens I MAY have found a lead. A couple of people I emailed for help have found a DD-214 filed in Manatee for an Edward Carleton born in 1909 (so the dates fit as well as the location). Waiting to see the document - 2 pages - and hoping it confirms this is the right one (I have already been down the road of researching the wrong one). Obv if it is the right one, then I will have a lot more detail to work with...

Fingers crossed