Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for some assistance

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Blake, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Blake

Blake New Member

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get some help to correctly make a shadow box for my grandfather who was a WWII veteran. He passed away and I was given his burial flag and a box of his Army belongings, as I am the only living member of my family that is a Veteran. I want to make sure I put the box together historically accurate but cannot figure out some of the things on his separation paper. Sorry for needing help, but the pictures he had were all from early in his tour and not accurate to what he rated when he got out. I'm looking for some assistance with the following and appreciate any help in advance:

1. His rank is listed as "1 SGT". I can't imagine that means 1st Sergeant, as he was only in for three years. Would that have been a Sergeant with three stripes? If so, was the rank insignia the same then as it is today? Can I buy an insignia patch from a surplus that is new and it would still be accurate for what he would have worn in the 40's?

2. It is listed that he has "1 service stripe". Is that stripe still the same now as it was in WWII?

3. Says he was an Expert with the TSMG and Marksman with an M1. Does that mean he would have had two separate badges with the bars beneath? If so, which one would be on the left and right on the uniform?

4. His unit/attachment was the 7th Infantry Division. Would he had worn a patch like the current patch for that division?

5. His Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal says "w/ 1 battle star". Is that just a bronze star on the medal?

6. He was awarded a Bronze Star and the commendation paperwork says it was awarded "with Valor" but his discharge paper only lists the medal. No notation regarding the "V". Should I leave the "V" off the medal?

Sorry to have to ask for assistance from anyone with this, but I tried researching it myself and found little information. I am looking forward to finishing the box for my mother as a Christmas gift and truly appreciate your time and help.

Regards,

Blake

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums Blake, I'm afraid that I can't help you here, but countless people can, I don't know who specifically, but there are reliable people hear to help!

TIRDAD likes this.
  3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I would make sure I got his rank right. If it said, 1 Sgt., on his separation papers, that is what I would use. Besides ability, where you served and who you served under could greatly effect how fast you did or didn't rank up. I don't know much, but don't take away a man's rank. :)

TIRDAD likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

TSMG would be the Thompson Sub-Machine Gun, or "Tommy Gun".

As for rank, during war attrition produces rapid promotion.

IIRC, a service stripe represented two years service for the Army.

TIRDAD likes this.
  5. chibobber

chibobber Member

Blake,
    Can you scan his discharge and post it? There are many here who can read and interpret it,and get the most info out of it.Service strips are different than today.Two seperate badges for the shooting quals.One battle star on the medal.If you have documentation on the V device I would display it.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Good luck,Bob

6. Blake

Blake New Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I've uploaded his discharge paperwork so you can see what I am looking at. What I am hoping to put in the shadow box along with his flag is a chevron patch, a service stripe, a patch for his division (if they wore one), all his medals, ribbons, and badges. Thank you again for helping with this.

Blake

Attached Files:

TIRDAD likes this.
  7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

#3) The Expert badge and Marksman Badge are different badges. They would each have a rectangular bar specifying the respective weapons for each. I believe the Expert badge would be on the right (that is, the viewer's left). If that is not correct, I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

#4) He would have worn the 7th Infantry Division Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI) and the 48th Field Artillery Battalion Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI) pin.

#5) That would be correct, though I would use the term Bronze Star Device or Battle Star just to avoid confusion with the Bronze Star Medal.

#6) If you have the actual paperwork for the award, I would go by that. Discharge papers have been known to contain errors and omissions on occasion.

TIRDAD likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I forgot to add that, based on his going overseas in March 1945, he may have joined the 48th FA Bn as a replacement just before or during Okinawa.

TIRDAD likes this.
  9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Tommy is correct about the shooting badges in #3. Here they are
    [​IMG]
    This is the Expert badge. There would be a bar that indicates the weapon.

[​IMG]
    This is the Marksman badge. Again, it would have a bar indicating the weapon.

According to his discharge paper, his Asiatic-Pacific ribbon would have one campaign star indicating his participation in the Ryuku Campaign.

TIRDAD likes this.
  10. LRusso216

I think this is the DUI of the 48th.
    [​IMG]

48 FIELD ARTILLERY BN FAC ET SPERA DO AND HOPE

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    TIRDAD likes this.
  11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The service stripe is for 3 years of service in the Army, from WW2 to current time. WW1 service was included.

[​IMG]

The overseas stripe or hash stripe denotes 6 months service in a combat zone.

[​IMG]

TIRDAD likes this.
  12. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yeah, I hear they walk to work too.

13. Blake

Blake New Member

Thank you for all the help, everyone. I am going to begin ordering all the badges, medals, and patches based off of your assistance. It looks like the DUI pin might be tough to track down online. Last night I found an additional separation paper and am going to upload it in this post. I am still uncertain about his rank and just find it unusual that he was a First Sergeant with only three years of service. This form lists all his ranks and shows him going from CPL to 1 SGT. Does anyone think that would have been possible? Every form I have lists his rank as 1 SGT. I just really want to make sure I don't misrepresent what rank he actually was at separation. Seems unlikely to me that a soldier would go from E-4 to E-8 even under those circumstances. Would of been so much easier if he took a pic or two of himself when he got out ;) All the pics I have he is a PFC.

Attached Files:

TIRDAD likes this.
  14. Highway70

Highway70 Member

"I am still uncertain about his rank and just find it unusual that he was a First Sergeant with only three years of service. This form lists all his ranks and shows him going from CPL to 1 SGT. Does anyone think that would have been possible? Every form I have lists his rank as 1 SGT. I just really want to make sure I don't misrepresent what rank he actually was at separation."

I think it is possible to be a 1st Sargent with only 3 years service. Especially given his record.

In WW2 the E classifications did not exist.
    Instead United States Army enlisted rank insignia of World War II - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    TIRDAD likes this.
  15. LRusso216

According to the Separation paper, he did attain the rank of First Sergeant. I imagine his administrative duties had something to do with it.

TIRDAD likes this.
  16. Blake

Blake New Member

Thanks again, all. I will go with First Sergeant chevrons. I'm assuming that is three up, three down with a diamond in the middle? You have all been fantastic and a huge help. I'll post a pic of the shadow box when it is complete.

TIRDAD likes this.
  17. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Correct.

TIRDAD likes this.
  18. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Blake, according to his discharge record, he was 1st Sergeant for 6 months. This was at the end of the war and most of the servicemen were being discharged. The Army needed someone with his abilities and they gave him the rank to match his duties. Lou has it completely correct.
    If you get on Ebay and search 48th Field Artillery I think you'll find the DUI. You may be able to get the rest of the awards and patches there also. You can usually find "time period" items. Most things look the same but there are subtle differences in the original WWII patches and awards. If you have paperwork that awards him the "V" device on his Bronze star, by all means include it.
    If you haven't asked for a replacement set of medals and awards from NARA you should do this. They may find he is entitled to something that wasn't included on his records. Medals of America sell nice display cases and a lot of other stuff for displays. I usually get the cases from them and buy the other stuff off ebay.

Include a picture of him in the display, really adds a personal touch. Be sure to post a picture when your done. Good luck.

Blake likes this.
  19. Blake

Blake New Member

Thank you for the response. I ordered all of his medals, ribbons, etc. from Medals of America as that is where I get all of mine from. For some reason they had the Army patch and insignia on back order and it took a month to get. I received them yesterday. I've attached a picture of everything going in the box along with a picture of him I am still waiting on being resized. I haven't had any luck finding the 45th DUI so that will have to remain off for the time being. Please feel free to comment on anything. Your input is truly appreciated.

Attached Files:

CAC likes this.
  20. Buten42

Buten42 Member

That will make a nice display, along with his picture. I thought I'd find a 45th DUI and send you the link but I had the same luck as you. I will keep poking around and let you know if I locate one. Good work, Dave