Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for WWll oldest living veteran

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by metrodave, Dec 5, 2009.

1. metrodave

metrodave recruit

I am looking to find out if my grandfather could possibly be the oldest. On 10/29/09 Harold W. Fry turned 101 years of age. I have read some veterans ages to be 103-108, but I am not sure if they are still alive. I read somewhere on the web that a gentleman by the name of Bob Johnson was keeping track of this, but I could never get in touch with him. Your help would be appreiciated.

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Hello metrodave,
    First let me offer a belated Happy Birthday to your Grandfather! And a welcome to you. I'm not sure where you would go to find this out but sounds to me like a good story for the local newspaper or TV station. The paper would probably be a good start, ask them about a human interest story. Especially with Dec. 7th being Monday interest will be high. Good Luck

3. Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig Dishonorably Discharged

You would need to contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and ask them to supply that information and cite "Freedom of Information ACT" in your letter. This can't be an email; it has to be a type/hand written letter baring your signature, how you are related to individual in question, your address and that's just about it.

Address:
    Attn: Public Information Office (or ATTN: FOIA)
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    810 Vermont Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20420

You are from the US, right? I shouldn't have assumed that automatically.