Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking to buy a K98

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Fatherandersonthepaladin, May 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Fatherandersonthepaladin Member

Wow, that just ruined my mood. The hole I thought was for a sniper scope was a gas vent (no idea what purpose that serves). The double circle was just a coincidental pattern formed from the filing off of the mum. Least it's still an interesting conversation piece. And I found out I love my M91/30 like no tomorrow. Kicks like an irate horse, and it's louder than a presidential candidate on an election year. Still, I love the raw power packed into each round, and there's nothing not to love about the accuracy.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Father A/ glad you found out some info on your Ariska. Im also surprised to hear that you have any ammo for it? Last I heard (about 10-15 years ago) I heard that the ammo for it was so difficult to get-that a box of ammo costs more than the rifle was. Whether that's true or not? I don't know? That's one reason why I never bought an Ariska.

3. Fatherandersonthepaladin

I have ammo for my M91/30 Mosin Nagant, not for the Arisaka. Even if I DID have the ammo for the Ari, I'd never shoot it, cause that accursed rifle is more dangerous to shoot than to be shot at by. I turned on the safety the other day and the safety (which is on the back of the bolt and can only be activated when the rifle is cocked) flew off, the firing pin shot out, and the firing spring almost nailed me in the eye @_@;; Just glad it wasn't loaded or I'd be blind and/or dead.

4. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Does anyone know what the word "HOEME" means when printed on the lower front hand guard of the Arisaka T99? I've never heard of it occurring before (not that I'm extremely well versed in T99s, but no website I've seen documents anything like it). It would be nice of it was a one of a kind prototype, but with my luck I severely doubt anything like that would happen.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Oops, my mistake. I was also hoping to hear you were not wanting to fire the Ariska, I know all too well had badly made those are--same goes from the Nambu pistol. It's a wonder that the Japanese were able to accomplist anything using such crappy weaponry. I know towards the end, they had copies of .45's and Garands in production and some actually saw field usage-don't know how many though?

Wish I could help you on the above but, what I know about Ariskas can fit on the back of my hand.

6. Fatherandersonthepaladin

No one I've asked has any idea what the word could possibly mean. I'm hoping it turns out to be an original, unique model, which would make it nearly priceless @_@; Incidentally, I'm working on getting a hold of my great grandfather's Gewehr 98. It was issued to him when he joined the German army in 1899. Still in pristine condition, because he took extreme care in keeping his guns looking and working like new. Unfortunately, my great aunt still holds onto it and doesn't like the idea of relinquishing it to family. She'd rather sell it, because she's more interested in the cash than the history.

7. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Buying a bayonet for my M91/30, which is a crazy idea because the rifle itself is bordering on 5' in length. Hopefully it's a 12" bayonet so it hits over 5' ... which will be extremely fun to explain to my dear mother. It'll be interesting to have the rifle during re-enactments lol. Hopefully no combat will take place at a range close enough where the bayonet will be of any danger to anyone... >.>;

8. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Anyone know anything about SKS rifles? I'm thinking of buying one, but I'm not entirely sure what on earth their collector value is...

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I have owned two SKS rifles. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a Chinese made one-all of them are pieces of garbage. You can buy a Russian made one from Banda's Bunker for around $200.00--last I checked.

I had both and the Chinese SKS was just crap and the Russian one was like driving a restored 1965 Mustang--just a work of art.

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Both the SKSs I have bought have been Russian made. I would stick to those made in the USSR. Im not sure about the Yugoslav ones though. BTW the Shotgun News had a great article on the Mosin Nagant rifles :).

11. Fatherandersonthepaladin

I love the idea of the Russian SKS. I'm just worried about it's accuracy. Considering that semi-auto rifles aren't generally that accurate... I'm just a tiny bit on the nervous side there. Incidentally, what's the kick like?

12. Fatherandersonthepaladin

I managed to get a chance to try a Yugo SKS yesterday. Shoots like a dream, though a small boost in power wouldn't hurt it at all... I was really surprised at it's lack of recoil though.

13. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Just tracked down a Chinese SKS with a Dragunov style stock and a nice scope for $240 + tax. I'm considering getting a class 3 license and adding selective fire to it, just need to hit 21. It shoots like a dream too, though it kicks a bit more than the standard SKS. Scope needs a little sighting in, but other than that it's in perfect shooting condition. I'm going to add an AK mag one of these days when I get some time and cash. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to explain to my mother how a semi-automatic sniper rifle showed up over night as of Thursday... Germans are notoriously bad at accepting that their children disregarded orders and bought weapons.

14. Fatherandersonthepaladin

I can't believe my bad luck... I was in Canada last week, and missed, literally by hours, the ability to buy a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 2 for $150... Granted, the rifle was missing the bolt and had a crack in the stock... and the barrel was in appalling shape, but fixing that up wouldn't cost the $300 it would take to get a complete one... or maybe it would... not really sure how much a new barrel costs for an Enfield... but still, it would be fun to say I bought an Enfield for $150!

15. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

Wow, I must really be behind the times... How much are No. 1 Mk 3`s going for now? I picked up one about 20 years ago for 75 bucks.

16. Fatherandersonthepaladin

I think the No. 1 Mk. 3 is worth about 350 to 400... which is what the No. 1 Mk. 2 usually sells for at the local gun shops. Course, the local gunshop is also selling a No. 4 Mk. 2 for 600 so they're just a little bit overpriced. Of course if you want to sell your rifle to me for 75 I won't argue :).

17. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

Thanks for the info. They had a whole rack of No 3`s when I picked this one out. Maybe I should have picked up a few more.... It is a fun gun to take out shooting. Might have to go check out the pawn shop, they a few k98`s in there last year. Wanted way to much for them them though.

18. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Before you consider getting a Class III, you better make sure your local sheriff will sign off on it 1st. Just because they're available doesn't mean everyone can have one. I.E. different strokes for different folks as per our govt.

19. Fatherandersonthepaladin

Heh no problems there. The local sheriff is good about that... usually... The only problem is that class 3s are expensive guns... REALLY expensive guns... which means I have to put off getting some until I'm done paying for college...