Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looks like something from Star Wars

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by Slipdigit, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

http://www.tankmuseum.ru/p6.html
    Mine clearing vehicle. Rolling Mine exploder NK-101

the pic was among German equipment. Was this a German contraption?
    It didn't look like it would be too successful. It would only be able to clear to narrow paths.

[​IMG]

Peppy likes this.
  2. TA152

TA152 Ace

What a thrill to visit that museum ! The mural looks like it is a KV-2 in action. I like the Thor alot.

Good find !

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Check out the Panzer 1 turret on top to get some scale of the thing.
    It's the Alkett Minenraumer, one of those German vehicles that had a kind of semi-legendry status until Kubinka opened up to the West with perestroika. It caused quite a few ripples throughout the 90's armour-nerd world alongside the revelation of a surviving Maus, Sturer Emil, Morser-gerat etc.

It looks even more peculiar from behind but gives a better idea of the sort of path it was intended to clear:
    [​IMG]

There was a Krupp prototype along similar lines in the Form of the articulated Schweres Minenraumfahrzeug but details are even sketchier on this:
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Adam.

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. Slipdigit

I wished that this pic showed something else beside the Maus to get an idea how large the thing really is. It's a hawg. (That's Southern for hog, meaning really large.) The posts holding the retaining rope look to be about 3 feet tall in this and other pics, but it doesn't help with depth perception.

At first I didn't see the 75 mm gun, but knew that it supposed to be to the vehicle's right of the 128mm gun. Low and behold, there that little fellow is. Looks almost like a mg, due the large size of the vehicle and the amin gun.

[​IMG]

I guess this ought to be in another thread. If you want to move it Otto, go ahead.

5. Slipdigit

So I guess that the vantage point doesn't adequately show the rear of the vehicle. Thanks VP.

I was trying to figure out how they kept that thing from spinning on its axels

6. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Nice find Slipdigit. Wonder why they just did'nt copy the allie's flail tank?
    [​IMG] Egads. Those crazy Germans......everything "had" to be huge.