Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lost WWII battlefield found in Papua New Guinea

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by syscom3, Jun 7, 2010.

1. syscom3

syscom3 Member

Lost WWII battlefield found in Papua New Guinea - Yahoo! Canada News

formerjughead likes this.
  2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Same story

3. Cobber

Cobber Member

Quote]It is as if time has stood still. We found ammunition running out in a line from the rifle that was dropped as the Japanese advanced to the rear.[End Quote

I love this description, "as the Japanese advanced to the rear". isn't that really just a withdrawal or retreat, I know the Imperial Japanese did not use these words they used other words to describe their withdrawals or retreats.

This find along with others in recent years shows just what kind of enviroment the Aussies fought in on the Kokoda Track, if the battle field is lost when the troops at the time were marking where they were on maps and these maps survive to this very day and they are wrong, this to me it shows the enviroment was almost impossible to be in, let alone fight in.

4. Istnick

Istnick Member

That is amazing good god. imagine finding that.

5. albowie

albowie New Member

What mr Freeman didn't tell most people is that this battlefield had already been "Discovered" and even mapped well before he and Australian TV sensationalised this. Have a look at the Kokoda Trekkers guide published a few years before. It has Photos and maps superimposed on aerial photos.